Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working with UEFI and Linux

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html

As described on this page, there are at least three ways to deal with Secure Boot: disable ituse a pre-signed boot loader, or use your own keys. (The last of these options is covered in much greater detail on the next page in this document, Controlling Secure Boot.)

Edited by bmike1, 22 May 2015 - 01:04 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

I'm looking through UEFI info and this may be of interest:

found at: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/controlling-sb.html

• Overcoming default boot-hogs—This one is admittedly speculative. Some people have reported difficulty getting their computers to boot anything but Windows by default; they can boot to Linux temporarily, use efibootmgr to set Linux as the default boot loader, but then find themselves booting back to Windows because the firmware keeps setting Windows as the default. If the Linux boot entry remains in place but is "demoted," setting your own boot keys might enable you to control this problem by removing Microsoft's key from the regular Secure Boot list and adding it to your MOK list. You'd need to use Shim or PreLoader for this to work. Note, however, that some computers hang upon encountering the first Secure Boot error; and if the problem is caused by a computer "forgetting" its entire boot list, this solution will do no good whatsoever.
  •  

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users