Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display drivers are crashing after replacing MOBO, RAM and CPU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hoopz

hoopz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

I switched out my motherboard, CPU and RAM recently and now my system is acting strange.

Symptoms
There is strange teaing on the screen (like split second glitches) especially in games.
Games are slow and frame rate is much lower than expected
The "Display Drivers" stop responding every 5 - 10 minutes 
Application windows have ghosting or trails when dragged across the screen
It generally feels unstable.

Specs
Windows 7
Gigabyte GA X99 Gaming G1 WIFI
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200)
i7-5820k
ASUS 7870HD
Intel 730 SERIES 2.5-Inch 240 GB Internal Solid State Drive
Corsair CX 750M

Any ideas are appreciate. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

That is normal, If you replaced the motherboard CPU and RAM, you are going to need new drivers to support your new hardware.

Install the correspondent driver for each new hardware, I would just install windows again

#3 hoopz

hoopz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Yeh, I should have mentioned that I did a complete fresh install of Windows 7. Installed all new drivers. The issue is still there. I've also tested the RAM; no issues there. The Display Drivers crash every 5-10 minutes. It only happens when I have a game running. The more things I have running at the same time as the game, the more unstable it seems to get. I got one BSOD which I opened in BlueScreenView and the following files were highlighted: 

- classpnp.sys 
- dxgmms1.sys
- watchdog.sys

It's really frustrating to have an unstable computer after spending so much money to upgrade. Thanks in advance for the help.

#4 hoopz

hoopz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

I will also mention that in the Bios, the RAM is running at 2133 MHz even though they are 2400. Not sure if that matters. As I said, I ran tests on the RAM and nothing strange came up.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Run a game for a few minutes and then do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hoopz

hoopz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Dc3. I will get you the Speccy log first thing after work tonight.

As an added piece of info: I uninstalled the AMD drivers, switched the ASUS 7870HD w/ a GTX Titan. I only got to test for about 45 mins, but the display drivers didn't crash, I didn't see any tearing, and no BSODs. I was running World of Warcraft on one screen and a bunch of apps on the other. World of Warcraft locked up once and froze, but the computer didn't so I was able to kill the process and restart the game. I am suspicious of the frame rate, since it seemed low, so I also ran Heaven Benchmark on Extreme and got a score of 1620; unfortunately, I have no idea if that score is appropriate. 

My last setup was i5-2500k + MSI P67-c43 b3 with 8GB DDR RAM. I would expect the new setup to be significantly more performant. 

Anyways, I will switch the video card back and get the Speccy log asap.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

Anytime you have issues with BSODs, you should create a new topic per the instructions below. We have a new team at BC experienced in analyzing BSODs and how to correct them, if your problems persist follow those directions at that link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 hoopz

hoopz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Posted my BSOD

#9 hoopz

hoopz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

Also posting my Speccy Log. Even with the Titan, I'm seeing screen tearing and general instability. I'm starting to suspect I have a faulty Motherboard.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ywNQtNcbJwilMCh7HbMmD6V

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

What you are describing sounds like a problem with the GPU, specifically the NVIDIA  graphics driver.

If this is happening outside of playing games try booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.  Safe Mode uses a limited amount of drivers and applications.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is a native Windows driver.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode it's a pretty good be that you need to reinstall the graphics driver, or update it.  Drivers can become corrupted, so this could be the case here.  The GeForce GTX Titan should have come with a disc to load the drivers, give this another try.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users