Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I use the adhere a laptop digitizer to a bezel?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

My Asus Vivobook (15.6 inch screen) laptop had a broken digitizer that needed replacing. I took it apart and removed the digitizer from the the bezel. The tape that was holding it on had a lot of glass and glass dust on it so I removed it and replaced it with double sided tape made for this purpose, and seated my new digitizer, but it doesn't want to remain stuck. Is there also an adhesive made for this purpose? Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

3M brand two sided tape is the best out there. It is a bit expensive though but has a long lasting hold.

I know your only looking for enough tape length to tape the digitizer in place, but a roll of it can come in handy for other repairs or projects.

Here's a link to amazon for this type of tape. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-5952-Multiple-Sizes/dp/B00K2N2HR4

Some may suggest glue or adhesives, but to me that just makes a sticky mess.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 May 2015 - 11:43 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

MrBruce1959, that looks a little thick. Have you ever used it? It looks like if I used this, the glass would maybe stick up higher than the bezel edge.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

JB Plastic Weld has been rated one of the better plastic bonding solutions available.

#5 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

YeahBleeping, have you used this to replace a laptop digitizer?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

I have not I've never broken one I presume you mean the screen bezel around the display?

#7 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

No, the bezel that holds the digitizer (touch screen). If the touch screen, or digitizer, isn't solidly adhered to the bezel, it will stick out

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

@ trickshot, there are a variety widths and thicknesses of 3M tape, choose the one that best fits your situation.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Oh...and avoid liquid glues or adhesives including gorilla glue.

Trust me on that warning.

Bruce.

#10 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

Thanks MrBruce, YeahBleeping

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

can anyone link me a pic as to what we're talking about?  Perhaps clear silicone adhesive would be good too?  Not to dash Bruce's suggestion.. I am just trying to provide alternatives if the stickytape doesn't work well.

#12 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Sorry YeahBleeping I don't have a pic.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hi, yeah bleeping.

The reason I'd advise against any liquid adhesives is because if ever, there comes the time to remove a device that is glued into place with such, that extraction could cause considerable damage to the parts, including the part we are not replacing.

Double adhesive tape is better because that is what held the original part in place.

Trickshot I realize you have the Asus Vivobook but which model number is it?  I want to see if there is an exploded view available on the web.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 May 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

There are some extremely thin double back tapes that are made for rear view mirror mounts on glass.  The space between the surface element and the digitizer panel needs to be very small or it becomes intermittent.  Number one cause of failure - - frustrated poking damages the point or pierces the plastic membrane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users