Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast web based file server

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 badincite

badincite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

I've been looking for a fast web based file server that can be hosted locally forever I'm using owncloud currently which all the features are awesome and the speed is okay but no where as fast as torrents uTP protocol. Can any recommend one that will actually transfer at my 100Mb up speed if the clients down speed can support it? Something that use udt ,fdt or anything other than tcp.

Here's what I did the other day testing with owncloud file transfer to a friend I hit a whole 16Mb speed transferring a file with that application. I then created a private torrent and gave that to him and it transferred at a speed around 50Mb which is decent considering he's not on fiber. And there's a huge difference in speed between the two applications so I am after something that can give me the transfer speed of uTP.

Edited by badincite, 22 May 2015 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

One thing you may want to consider before attempting to set up a local server. Read the fine print of your TOS from your ISP. Make sure that you are not subject to penalties for operating a server on your level of service. You could be in for a rude awakening otherwise.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 badincite

badincite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

The ISP is fine with it im not doing any crazy amount of file sharing theyll never even know.

#4 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

You have to understand the major differences between a File Exchange on the two protocols you're using. Http and on P2P.

Sounds like you're transferring large files, in this case P2P would greatly increase your transfer speed where as Http is limited to one source.

Why not look into FTP instead of Http file transfers?

It would help with your large file transfer in your case.

-source:

http://daniel.haxx.se/docs/ftp-vs-http.html

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#5 badincite

badincite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

Ftp is slower than owncloud...

#6 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

ownCloud uses WebDav which supports 370 bytes (PROPFIND + 207 Multi Status), whereas FTP uses 7 bytes leading to less overhead.

For smaller files, WebDav would be the preferred choice of the two. In this case I suggested FTP as my assumption is you're transferring larger files.

It seems ownCloud supports the use of FTP. I'd give that a try, might increase your transfer speed over the web.

-source:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2518#page-86

https://owncloud.com/owncloud-server-or-enterprise-edition/

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users