Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think factory reset wipes your data from Android phones? Think again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Diligent Android users may have done the right thing and factory reset their devices before selling them, but researchers have shown personal information can still be recovered from dozens of devices, even after they've been wiped.

As many as 500 million smartphones running older versions of Android may still be carrying data including Google and Facebook account details, SMS and email content that users would likely assume would be deleted from their devices after a factory reset.

Cambridge University security researchers Laurent Simon and Ross Anderson tested 21 Android devices from Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, and Google that were running Android versions 2.3.x Gingerbread to 4.3 Ice Cream Sandwich bought on eBay in the UK and from phone recycling companies.

"We were able to retrieve the Google master cookie from the great majority of phones, which means that we could have logged on to the previous owner's Gmail account. The reasons for failure are complex; new phones are generally better than old ones, and Google's own brand phones are better than the OEM offerings," Anderson wrote on his Light Blue Touch Paper blog.

To illustrate the impact on users, the researchers ran a factory reset on their own phone and recovered its Google master token, which could then be used to access content from Google accounts

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

Interesting. I don't trust smartphones. Sure they're useful, and I'm on one all day to stay in touch with friends, but I just don't trust them.

The last thing I'd ever do is sell one. If I'm getting a new one, I'm destroying the one I currently have. Or if it's still usable but just old, I'd store it away somewhere in case my newer phone breaks.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

Unfortunately most smart phone users aren't as smart as their phones. :wink:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 cwbytez

cwbytez

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:58 PM

Unfortunately most smart phone users aren't as smart as their phones. :wink:

I agree with that :thumbup2:

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users