Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading windows vista home edition to windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 catman47

catman47

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

Is it at all possible to upgrade windows vista home premium edition to windows 7? I have since downloaded windows 7 upgrade advisior which tells me my laptop meets the requirements for windows7.

Will I have to purchase a copy of windows7? or can I upgrade from my Windows Vista Home Edition.

I use a Dell Inspiron 6400 intel dual core  32 bit with service pack2.

Any suggestions, ideas, or info leading me to Windows 7 will greatly be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi catman47 :)

In order to upgrade to Windows 7, you'll have to buy a product key for the product. Once done, you can upgrade via a clean installation of Windows 7, or an upgrade from Windows Vista. Do you know your computer specs or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

additional specs..t2350 @186GHz 187GHz

100 gb ram

32 bit operating system

There aren't any more specifics

Any suggestions?

If the only way to obtain Windows7 is by purchase than I have to decline at this time, I suffer from "fundsRlow".

your involvement is appreciated and I thank you. catman

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

I doubt you have 100GB of RAM, maybe 1.00GB? :P If so, your system meets the minimum requirements to run Windows 7 32-bits, but don't expect it to run realy smoothly. And yes, you cannot obtain Windows 7 for free sadly, you have to buy it.

And no problem catman, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

thanks for the quick reply. yes this laptop has 1.00gb of ram.

Where would a person get one of these W7?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

You can buy it online or in retail stores like Staples, BestBuy, eBay, Amazon, from Microsoft directly, etc.

unite_blue.png

#7 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:47 AM

one more question, is it necessary to have windows7 since I do have windows vista home premium edition? 

#8 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

I would upgrade ram to at least 3 gb if you can. The I would look to see whats cheaper Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 and purchase it.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 22 May 2015 - 07:53 AM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

It's totally up to you. The Mainstream Support for Windows Vista already ended, and the Extended Support ends in 2017. Also, it might be a good time to get a new computer/OS all together if you ask me.

Also I would upgrade the RAM to 4GB and not 3GB. 4GB is for me the "standard minimum" everyone should have today.

Edited by Aura., 22 May 2015 - 07:55 AM.

unite_blue.png

#10 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

You might be able to do the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" from within Control Panel...the problem is, that might take you to 8 (maybe?) since Microsoft isn't selling 7 anymore.  Also, I don't recall if Vista had that option.  I know Windows 7 Home or Starter did.

At one time, I was able to buy the Anytime Update from Amazon, to take a Win 7 Home PC to Win 7 Pro.  You might try searching on Amazon to see if that's still available.  As I recall, it was cheaper than buying the box.

And yes, I would definitely add more RAM before doing anything else.  Good luck!

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

Last time I checked, the Windows Anytime Upgrade was removed from Windows Vista and it expired.

unite_blue.png

#12 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

More than likely you're right about that.  It was just a thought, and I wasn't sure if it was still valid, hence my caveats.  Thanks!

#13 catman47

catman47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

thanks buddy, sounds good so I'll take a look and if anything good comes about I'll let you know..

catman

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

No problem catman, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users