Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on windows load - safe mode BSOD at loading Aswrvrt.sys

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 scuba78

scuba78

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hi All,

I'm an experience computer user working in technical support and system administration in linux environment. 

This issue has me stumped.

My pc is refusing to boot, it will throw a BSOD moments after hitting the loading windows screen.

Start up recovery prompts to system restore, once this is complete it restarts with the same effect.

Repairing from the windows system disk has the same effect.

When booting into safe mode, the system will BSOD when loading aswRvrt.sys.

All BSODs happen too fast to read anything, not dumping physical memory.

This all started happening after a seemingly random BSOD which happened last night.

The only change to the system that I effected was installing a newsgroup reader this was done several hours before the first BSOD.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by scuba78, 22 May 2015 - 05:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

When you used the installation disc did you access the System Recovery Options and run the Startup Repair?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

The only change to the system that I effected was installing a newsgroup reader this was done several hours before the first BSOD.

Can you provide more information about this Newsgroup reader?

You may have installed some type of malware

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

By the way aswRvrt.sys. is a system file related to Avast.

Check this link for more information. http://blog.vilmatech.com/fixedaswrvrt-sys-cwindowssystem32driversaswrvrt-sys-problems-bsod-stuckbooting/

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ring 0

ring 0

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

Follow this, please - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#6 scuba78

scuba78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

@MrBruce1959: The file was called 'newshosting_setup_1.6.1.exe'.

I am running avast on the sick computer.

@dc3: I attempted both, both failed to change the situation.

@ring 0: The sick computer will not boot into windows at all, unfortunately I cannot follow that guide. 

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

Can you boot into safe mode at all?

Can you boot into the system BIOS at all?

Bruce.

#8 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

Boot into safe mode and uninstall avast.

#9 scuba78

scuba78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

I cannot boot into safe mode.

I can get into bios

#10 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

Hmm, I see. Do you have access to a live CD? If you do, you can delete the avast drivers from there and then boot to safe mode to remove it.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

By the way according to Virus Total that executable newshosting_setup_1.6.1.exe with SHA256: eb10f2d1e490adf1f6109c9bab19d48f55ed7909b2be885f43dd5e3e74d92b63 is a safe program

More Info here:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/eb10f2d1e490adf1f6109c9bab19d48f55ed7909b2be885f43dd5e3e74d92b63/analysis/

I do not believe that installation is the cause of Avast Acting up because it was one of the scanners that passed it as being a safe program.

Bruce.

#12 scuba78

scuba78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

From some of the analysis I have seen of similar issues, they generally have been coming paired with a malware infection. I'm not sure it's wise to remove my antivirus without knowing more. 

Edited by scuba78, 23 May 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:09 AM

You aren't getting online until you get this sorted, so you don't need to worry about uninstalling Avast at this point.  Once you have the system running properly again you can download Avast on another computer, move it to a flash drive and install it from there.

I'm guessing that this is a custom build since you mentioned using a system disc.  If you have all of your important data backed up to removable media you might consider reinstalling the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Jared44

Jared44

• 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

Yes, because if Avast is stopping him from booting, then it is a priority.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

From some of the analysis I have seen of similar issues, they generally have been coming paired with a malware infection. I'm not sure it's wise to remove my antivirus without knowing more.

It is possible that it comes with other installers that are questionable.

It is also a question of where you downloaded your copy.

This may sound crazy, but it's worth a shot since you say you can not boot from the hard drive or bootable DVD/CD.

First enter your BIOS, while you are in there, look for a mention of set system defaults it can be worded differently, but the key word will be defaults and it is usually listed at the bottom of the BIOS menu screen, choose that option.

Next look for boot menu rearrange the boot menu so the CD/DVD drive is first in line, hard drive second.

Choose the option, exit and save the BIOS should now exit.

Before we move onto an attempt to boot from a Live CD try booting into SAFE MODE one more time by tapping the F8 key and see if it will now enter safe mode successfully.

If not, we'll talk about downloading and ISO to create a LiveCD and hopefully we can get that option to work.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users