Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitor issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

I have my computer setup with dual monitors but a couple issue still linger.

When I use my screen capture tool, it is only able to allow me to capture the screen on the main display.  I can't capture on the extended display.  I'm not sure if this is normal and is usually the case or if it should be able to allow me to capture either screen.

The other thing I noticed was when I capture on the main display a video file, the still turns out black.  Only the the player and surrounding is captured but the actual video is black.  I can't remember if this has to do something with hardware acceleration or another thing.  But I've always been able to screen capture a video frame and it would capture normally.  

The last symptom is, when playing video files, or watching youtube videos etc., the video has a sort of choppy line (looks like the horizontal interlacing thing) where the frame seems to be slower which is why the horizontal segments seem to appear a lot in the videos.

Now I tried it on both my AMD Radeon 6870 card and now my backups of GeForce 6600 GT and 9400 GT.  I think i remember when I tried to access the hardware acceleration, it was greyed out so I don't know how to manipulate hardware acceleration settings if this is the reason.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

I think we need a bit more information could you provide us with a speccy link to your system's specs?  What capture software are you using?  I am not sure if this has something to do with your software's settings or possibly direct x.  Do you have all of windows updates? 

I also found this post on another video capture software's help site:

The Video Window is all black when playing back the recording

If this occurs, you will need to disable "hardware acceleration" on your PC. Here's how to do it:

1. Right click on your Windows desktop.
  2. Select Properties in the pop-up menu.
  3. In the Display Property window click Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot.
  4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to NONE.
  5. Click Apply.
  6. Click OK in the message box displayed by the video card.
  7. Click OK to exit

Edited by YeahBleeping, 22 May 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

Oh, thanks for the reply.

My option to access hardware acceleration is greyed out.

I'm using Windows 7 ultimate....as far as I know, I have all windows updates. 

I have DirectX 11(all features enabled).

For screen caps I'm using a software called Snap Shot.  

I used to be able to grab screen caps from videos no problem, but after having to re-format my computer a while

back, i've must've lost some setting that I had on before that allowed me to capture video grabs.  Of course, if I open the

video in something like virtualdub, I can grab them there no problem, but when played in windows media player for example,

it's blank.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hmm...I was able to turn off video acceleration directX in window media player and now I am able to grab screen caps from them.

I guess that fixed the issue?  Oh but it's still doesn't work for other players.  For example if I open the video in Elecard player, and try a screen cap, it will just be black in the box.

Since my hardware acceleration is greyed out from windows.....is there a way to disable it another way?  I opened up my nvidia control panel but doesn't seem to have an option there to disable hardware acceleration.

Edited by cornflakes2, 22 May 2015 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users