Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/mouse Recommendations Please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 lizbeth

lizbeth

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

:thumbsup: Would love a little bit of help guys, probably not the run of the mill question i,m sure your used to anyway here goes. I have a Packard Bell Imedia 1509 desk pc. although a good key board and mouse (for a relative newbee!!) have been offered as a gift from friend if i wish, a keyboard and mouse upgrade of my choice. The problem is not too sure what i should look for ie; wired keyboard and mouse, wireless and laser mouse,microsoft,logetech etc, so much to choose from and not knowing which direction to go in. For wan,t of opening up the floodgates i do know that it,s probably a matter of taste and what maybe a great keyboard and mouse to one person, may not be to another , however a teeny pointer in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Many thank,s guys from lizbeth
keep up the good work
:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

I happen to really like Logitech mice and keyboards. My advice, though, is to make a trip to BestBuy or local computer store and actually try the keyboards and mice out. The feel of the keyboard to your fingers, and the fit of the mouse---since you use these constantly---is very important.
I prefer wired keyboard and (lazer) mice, but that is determined by your physical set up more than anything else, since I seem always to run out of batteries at the worst time.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 06 July 2006 - 12:31 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

:thumbsup: Igweed,

Lizbeth wishes to say a huge big thankyou!! for your sound advice, i think i will just go ahead with the
wired keyboard and laser mouse. Will do a test run with different products and study some reviews online. :huh:
Gift from me to you

From lizbeth

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

Just like jgweed, I too use and thoroughly enjoy Logitech products. I (personally) would stay away from a wireless keyboard. I'm a big First-Person Shooter player and it gets annoying when your signal cuts out for a split-second. That split-second interrupts what you were doing (usually running) and you need to press the key again to continue. If you're just using you computer for internet/word processing/etc. a wireless may be a good idea. It's much more convenient being able to move you keyboard, and it clears up the clutter on your desk.

If you do play game seriously, then I would look at the Logitech MX518 "Gaming-Grade" Optical Mouse. It's got buttons on it that allow you to control the mouse sensitivity. I've never seen these on any other mouse (haven't actually looked too hard though) and it's very useful in-game.

Just a last note, it should be obvious but you never know... Stay away from roller-ball mice. I don't even know if they sell them anymore, but they are the work of the devil!

Edited by .Prodigy., 06 July 2006 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

Just like jgweed, I too use and thoroughly enjoy Logitech products. I (personally) would stay away from a wireless keyboard. I'm a big First-Person Shooter player and it gets annoying when your signal cuts out for a split-second. That split-second interrupts what you were doing (usually running) and you need to press the key again to continue. If you're just using you computer for internet/word processing/etc. a wireless may be a good idea. It's much more convenient being able to move you keyboard, and it clears up the clutter on your desk.

If you do play game seriously, then I would look at the Logitech MX518 "Gaming-Grade" Optical Mouse. It's got buttons on it that allow you to control the mouse sensitivity. I've never seen these on any other mouse (haven't actually looked too hard though) and it's very useful in-game.

Just a last note, it should be obvious but you never know... Stay away from roller-ball mice. I don't even know if they sell them anymore, but they are the work of the devil!

I felt a tear drop when I read that last paragraph, lol! I actually much prefer my Ball mouse to my friends MX518, I don't know if it was his surface, but his mouse was way to sensative, and when I turned it down, it was way too low. I find I can move and snipe quite effectively on Source with my ball mouse while I turn the mouse pad upsidedown. ( But I have to clean in every day or so, to keep it working well )

But for casual word proccesing, email, ect. A standerd Optical mouse should serve you fine. For keyboards, you'd have to go to a store and feel them for yorself, I mostly just care about how the keyboards are set up. I hate Dell's keyboard setup.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

I like both the Microsoft and Logitech products - but I go for simplicity as much as possible!

My "fav" setup is a Microsoft Natural keyboard (wired) and a Logitech Trackball (wired).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:03 AM

:thumbsup: Lizbeth here Hello Prodigy

Have decided on logitech wired and laser mouse most people, spoken to seem to agree, but at the end of the day i suppose it will always be a matter of taste each to there own as they say i don,t play many games not because i,m not a funster just haven,t the patience. Anyway thanks for your advice and happy surfing

:huh: Lizbeth

#8 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:09 AM

Hello Protozero,

Am off to store tomorrow to get new keyboard and mouse will have a look at logitech and microsoft and test each and get advice instore also, although i will be alert to salesmanship :thumbsup: but many thanks for advice, has been taken on board

Have a nice one
Lizbeth :huh:

#9 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

Usasma, Lizbeth wishes to say thankyou :thumbsup: have read up lots of reviews on keyboards etc, and i suppose at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste etc ,so the best thing i can do is go instore and get advice and try out for myself but your help was very much appreciated

Lizbeth says TaTa!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users