Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forum Ettiquete

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

If you want to thank someone on these forums after they or several others have helped you answer your question, is it appropriate to thank them on that thread or send them a PM? I don't want to use valuable thread space which could be used to help someone. Just curious. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

I don't think it really matters how you show your appreciation, it's just nice to be thanked.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

I agree eiether way is fine, it is always nice to receive words of thanks.

But if I may... the public posting would help towards the assistance of others that
could be experiencing similar problems. Acknowledgement and a thank you, shows that the
issue has been resolved. And the trouble shooting suggestions could be looked into. :thumbsup:

Plus it just makes BC look good. :flowers:

:trumpet:
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Either way is more than acceptable. A brief "thank you" posted in reply to the thread is certainly thread space well-used (and not often enough for that courteous purpose, alas!) and I know deeply appreciated by everyone who has given of their free time to help you.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

When I thank people, I try to give reasons why and add to the thread when I can. Even just a simple "thank you" helps, it means you found it useful and bumps it back to the tops for other to read, who may also find that information useful.

On other forums, I've see a feature where a user can click a "Thank You" button and it add to a post directly after the original, showing the usernames and number of people who sad Thank You. This may come in handy, but it sort of defeats the purpose I gave in the first half of my post.

Posted Image

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, whenever i get help i usually post a "thanx" post in the thread i was having problems.

I also describe what exactly helped me. If there was a specific action in, say, 4 or 5 replies to my problem, i post which one worked for me. That way people w/ the same problem know how to deal with it. However, i DO thank everyone that took their time to try and help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users