Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical Imaging Tools

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jdbeyler

jdbeyler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

I am new to windows 8.1 having just recently purchased a new Windows 8.1 Laptop. I am looking for a premium or free Disk Imaging tool to create a physical backup of the internal SSD
I have a 64-Bit operating system running on either of the following processors. (I'm not at home, and, don't recall which)
5th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor
5th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor

The tool I am looking for should have the capability of creating a sector-by-sector image that I can burn to either a CD/DVD/BluRay disc
Support creation of a bootable USB/CD/DVD in the event of catastrophic failure where the OS will not load, so, that I can boot off that media and then restore from the image that was burned to the media where that image is stored

An IT team member at my work recommended Clonezilla, but, I have seen some reports that Clonezilla has problems with creating/restoring a physical image of a Windows 8.1 OS. I have not been able to find anything that indicates or states that the Clonezilla has resolved their issues with Windows 8.1. Of course just because I can't find any documentation that states that Clonezillas Windows 8.1 issues have been resolved, doesn't mean a whole lot.

Can anyone recommend a good tool that supports creation and restoration of a Windows 8.1 OS onto a SSD running in an ASUS laptop? I have no preference on whether the tool is a free tool or a premium tool.

Thanks
John B

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

Two I would recommend. Aoemi Backupper Standard and Macrium Free. Both will create a bootable disk, either one based on Windows or Linux. But, the only one that will restore an GPT disk image with a EFI partition to a blank drive is Macrium. It can be done with Aoemi but the disk has to be converted to a GPT disk before restoring the partition created by Aoemi. See this post at Wilderssecurity. The Restore Environment the poster mentions is the Aoemi PE disk that includes a number of Utilities. Aoemi PE builder is free and I recommend it as it can be used to recover files from an unbootable drive as long as it is not failing.

I believe the linux disk in the latest version overcomes this issue but I can't confirm that. Both will let you explore the disk image created. One of the drawbacks of Clonezilla. Both will let you do sector by sector backups but I have never used this option and have always had good luck with the restores.

Aoemi Backupper also has file backup with scheduler and Full, Incremental, and Differential Backup capability . Aoemi Edition Comparison

Edit: I would highly recommend you do not backup to an optical disk(s). You probably would be able to do it to a disk but I would spend a little money and get a good 1TB external drive. The backup will be much faster. I would also mention that I do not know if the two imaging programs can backup to BluRay. That you would have to confirm from either Aoemi or Macrium.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 May 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

I use Acronis True Image 2015 and have used Acronis products for years with great success.

I've heard a lot of good about Macrium Reflect also - but haven't tried it myself

Windows backup options are becoming better as time goes on, but I haven't worked with them since the DOS days.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users