Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to learn windows server environments.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys, Idk if you have seen my posts around here as of late but I am a complete networking noob. I was hired on at a local real estate company in town to over sea the network and all of the user's computers and printers. I was extremely clear to my employer that I was a novice when it comes to networking and he said that is fine and hired me anyways and to be honest, I am getting by. I am trying my best to utilize this opportunity and learn as much as possible about this server and gain a good belt of experience operating windows server.

Currently we are running windows server 2003 (yes i know the support ends in july but we are using this only as a file server so its really nbd, I have explained to my employer the cost of upgrading the server and the software and he doesn't think its worth it) and we don't even have our users logging into the domain. basically, from what it seems, this server just acts as another computer but this one has a shared drive on it that everyone in the office can access.

So, basically what i have done just for experience is I logged into the server via my computer using "mstsc", i messed around with AD, added users, removed users, and I am in the process of installing a professional version of windows on a VM so I can attempt to login to the domain and see what kind of functions I will have with a domain account on the server. BASICALLY, i just want some tasks, like homework I guess, that can show me the ins and outs of a server environment. 

Can anyone please point me in the right direction here? Give me some homework. give me some ideas to try out. I literally have way too much time here. If i'm not watching or reading comptia books or nuggets (which i believe the information is extremely bloated and irrelevant) than I am watching DBZ and playing clash of clans. I need more knowledge so once again, someone please, set me up with some tasks to try out to broaden my horizons. Thank you

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

I would suggest you need a more organized system of self training.  Your training, if done right, would be based on the OSI model [google it].  You can skip some layers of this model

Starting at the bottom is the physical.  You need to know how to install or replace hardware.  How to troubleshoot the hardware [bad ram or cpu?].  Learn your raid levels and what makes each unique and valuable.

Skip data link until you want to learn about switches/vlans

Networking is where you learn about tcp/ip addressing, subnetting/supernetting, and how everything connects via tcp/ip.  Learn the difference between server/client and peer to peer networking.

Jump up to Application where you learn about how OS, both server and workstation, use the lower layers

Once you understand what is involved with a OS [operating system] then you can get into how to install, configure and administer things like users, printers, file and volume access, permissions, proper file structure, shares and so forth

Then you move on to Active Directory administration, OU's, GPO's, file replication, so on an so forth.

None of this training should be done on a live system.  Being in as an administrator and as a novice is asking for trouble.  GUI's make it look simple but what is happening in the background is complex.  You should bring up a training /testing lab and practice there.

Get some server books and read them.

If you start at the top dealing with users and files you will have no clue why if those aren't working why that is.  Training is about building a good foundation.  This is the same reason why you learn addition subtraction multiplication and division before you do calculus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users