Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check if CPU pins are bent?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hi all 

I was installing my cpu, I'm not sure how sensitive/forgiving the pins are on the LGA2011 socket of the motherboard but what happened was i had the wrong orientation while holding the cpu chip itself while placing it onto the socket of the motherboard. I didn't press it onto the pins yet but the cpu chip's metallic side made soft contact as the cpu chip landed on top of the pins, only in the wrong orientation - tried to move it slightly left & right. Realizing the holes didn't fit right quickly, i switched it to the right orientation after lifting it up in the air and then it managed to sink itself to the socket without force. Just wanted to make sure if the pins are ok so i had a second look, carefully lifting the cpu chip by the sides and took a photo. Am not sure myself if i bent any pins in the process

Here's the actual image:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll120/cybershooter100/Target%20image.jpg

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cybershooter100/media/Target%20image%202.jpg.html

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cybershooter100/media/Target%20image%203.jpg.html

Reference image to an LGA2011 socket:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll120/cybershooter100/Reference%20image.jpg

I took more shots in case its a bit blurry, will upload if needed.

Edited by john1816, 21 May 2015 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

The pattern in the photo doesn't appear to have any disruption in it.  But this is looking at it from only one angle.

Apply the thremal compound and install it and see what happens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

Before i had it tested, i looked at the back side of my motherboard, there are a few bent pins but none of them are or seem to be in contact. 

I then got it tested in my local pc shop. The motherboard powered on, along with the fan but all i can see is a - line from the monitor. I'm loss at what to do next. Am in the process of building a PC, first time - i provided the RAM, mobo, cpu cooler and cpu. They tested it with some graphics card and a PSU(Overheard it was some low-end graphics card, didn't know what the model was). The mobo was placed on top of a cardboard when testing. The local pc guy powered it on after all components were attached, used a screw driver and touched some pin with it to power up the board. The guy said that it should be at the bios stage but instead, hangs up.

Specs:

Motherboard: X79A-GD65

Processor: Intel i7-3820 LGA2011

RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D3B1 8GB DDR3-1600

CPU cooler: Deep Cool, Gammaxx s40 (for LGA2011) (Comes pre-applied with thermal paste)

Components that i'm planning to use with:

PSU: Thermaltake 875W 

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GT440 

Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Full tower)

I'm currently installing the motherboard standoffs too, as there are 9 mounting holes. One of them is missing, they provided me with something else instead.  Its sort of like a plastic standoff, is it ok to use it? I currently have 8 metal standoffs and missing only one left. http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cybershooter100/media/White%20Plastic%20Standoff.jpg.html

Also, i'm not sure if the red washer is needed to be inserted? If my motherboard has this kind of mounting hole: 

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/cybershooter100/media/Motherboard%20hole.jpg.html?o=1

I carefully then re-inspected the cpu socket pins of the motherboard after the testing to see if any of it was bent, and found none. The LGA2011 socket pins seem to be diagonally shaped, rather than straight. 

Did not notice any smoke coming off during the time it was powered on. No burnt marks.

Maybe the motherboard is defective? Haven't ruled out hardware defects yet. 

I also did a bit of researching that maybe it has something to do with the BIOS from people who have similar setups and problem (same motherboard, but varying processors) from other forums, I'm using a 3820 processor and the Bios version according to this website, requires v15: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/X79A-GD65_%288D%29.html. Assuming (but not sure) that my motherboard is at bios v10 (v1.0), then i would have to find a computer shop that would have a compatible processor (in this case, a 3930K revC1) to the v10 bios and update the board's BIOS? Could that be causing the problem that it wouldn't post?

Edited by john1816, 23 May 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

You need to go to the website of the manufacturer of the motherboard and search for updated drivers and BIOS.  See if there is a suggested upgrade to a new version then you could think about doing this.  If there isn't a suggested upgrade, don't upgrade the BIOS.

The BIOS is  contained in a integrated circuit on the motherboard.  This operates independently of the operating system.  Part of the start involves a part of the BIOS called the POST (Power On Self Test), this is where it looks at all of the peripheral devices.  If there is a problem with one of the peripheral devices the startup process will stop there.  Did the guy in the shop make sure that everything was was seated properly?  Did they examine the pins of the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

There is an update for the bios to my corresponding processor however the problem is that my processor isn't supported by the default factory bios of my motherboard (after having doing some surfing in the net i found out others stumbled upon this dreadful problem, same motherboard model), my bios will not recognize my cpu - so it would be impossible to even get to the motherboard to post and then get to bios and update it at this stage unless i got a processor that is supported by it. (CPU-bios compatibility issue)

Yup, if you mean the LGA2011 CPU socket pins in the motherboard, its ok. The LGA2011 CPU chip on the other hand doesn't have pins, only it has a yellow/gold plate side with small holes. Also got that inspected and no defects were found. 

Edited by john1816, 23 May 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

Ouch...  Can you return the CPU and purchase one which is compatible with your motherboard?

If you Google the motherboard you should be able to find which CPUs are compatible with it.  I would do this before purchasing another.

#7 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Yup, I already searched the compatible CPUs with it and since the motherboard is a high-end board, it'll cost me the price of a high-end compatible CPU just to get its Bios updated  :(  (Even considering the cheapest of them). I doubt the stores would lend me or rent me one of those cpu chips since they're high-end. Returning it isn't an option either but am considering the option to sell them instead and just running a middle-end rig hopefully which would cover some of the loss, fine by me :) Oh well, at least I learned some valuable lesson - the hard way that is  <_<

Edited by john1816, 23 May 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

There is another forum here titled System Building and Upgrading.  If you want to know if the components you are thinking about using are compatible, this is the place to ask for help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users