Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 freeze on startup - Dell Inspiron 15 (7537)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deviques

deviques

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

I have a huge problem. (Sorry for my english) The day befoe yesterday I had a Dell Update shown up on my taskbar, I approved it, it ran, and after that I could not turn my laptop on.

When I try to start it shows me the dell boot screen and it freezes at the login screen OR at desktop OR already at a blank screen before login.

I tried everything, I cannot get to the recovery screen, because somehow Windows thinks that it will boot, and doesn't offer me the recovery option. I didn't made a recovery disk, I have no optical drive, and I had no spare USB drives when I bought the laptop, after that I have forgotten.

I tried to make a bootable Windows 8.1 installation kit on USB, I manage to start it in UEFI mode, System restore cannot succeed, because it cannot access the Windows installation. Auto repair will also not work.

In command prompt I tried to rebuild the boot record, it cannot find any Windows installation (Total identified Windows installations: 0)

I tried to remove C:\Boot\bcd after a tutorial, it says, Path not found - C:\Boot

"bcdboot c:\windows (file:///c:/windows) /s c:" will also not work, it just doesn't recognize the command.

I started a bootable USB with partitioning software. It finds all my drives and all my volumes. OS partition seems to be all right. I wanted to rebuild MBR with the partitioning software, but it can rebuild only MBR and no GPT. At this point I am not sure if I may do it, i want to keep the bootloader in GPT.

I would be able to save some data from the disk, but I don't know if I may reinstall windows from the USB installation kit. I think it may be a partition with the original DELL installation kit, and I don't want to use all the DELL tools from my windows. The best would be to preserve this windows installation.

Can anybody help me further?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Do you recall what the Dell Update was?

Have you changed settings in the BIOS previously.

Some systems will refuse to boot if Secure Boot is changed from on to off or from off to on.  This may happen if you updated the UEFI and reset the Secure Boot to default.

This doesn't sound like the problem that I described (the boot stops earlier), but I bring it up in hope that it might cause you to remember something.

If you can't run Automatic Repair and can't boot into Windows, your options are limited.

Are you able to access the menu to do a Refresh of the system?

Are you able to see the files in the partition that Windows is installed on?

If so, it's advisable to back these up immediately (at least the Users folder) in order to save your data.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 deviques

deviques
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

Thank you for the reply!

I didn't see what the Dell Update was.

I haven't change the BIOS previously, only after I already had this issue, but it doesn't affect it.

With an installation kit on USB drive I am able to access the menu but Refresh won't work.

I am able to see the files in the OS partition. I already saved my data.

I wasn't getting further, I think my only option is really just reinstalling everything.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:59 AM

Can you run the Dell diagnostics?  If so, please do so.

Then it seems that there are 3 options:

- run diagnostics (here's a list of some bootable one's:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html )

- keep fiddling with it (using results from Google/Bing searches).  This'll be very tedious and can go on for a long, long time.

- reset it and see if that helps.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 deviques

deviques
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

I ran the Pre Boot Diagnostics before. It says that everything is all right.

I am fiddling with it for 3 days now.

I will reinstall Windows tonight, that seems to be the only solution, sadly.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:37 AM

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users