Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS R9270X 2GB issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 identityzero

identityzero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hey, folks. I'm stumped.Let me throw some specs at you before I begin.

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-Bit

CPU - AMD Phenom II 3.0 4x

GPU - ASUS R9270X 2GB

RAM - 12GB DDR3

PSU - APEVIA ATX-AP800W 12V

I've got this computer I built back in 2009. I've been upgrading it here and there over the years; new power supply in 2010, 4GB RAM in 2013 and in 2014 a new GPU.

I used to have a Radeon HD 5770 card, but the fan on it died and the chip got a little toasty. In the entire history of having it, I never had an issue running two monitors, playing games on max settings and streaming at 720p all at once. No artifacts, glitches or anything. Ever.

Last July I upgraded to the R9270X 2GB card. From the moment I put it in, I had issues. Artifacts, glitches and more such as in many games, looking in certain directions or at different objects would cause things to jump out of the distance and flicker across my screen, rapidly. It never got WORSE, just stayed that way. A few months ago I RMA'd to ASUS. They fixed whatever they thought was wrong and sent the card back (or sent me another card, I couldn't tell.). While it was gone, I used my old Radeon HD 5770 with zero issues. However, the instant I plugged the new / refurbished / fixed/ posessed R9270X back in, the issues came back.

I'm currently in negotiations with ASUS, trying to figure out what to do. They won't make any reccomendations aside from another RMA which - graciously - they are offering to pay the postage for. However, I'm not sure it's the card and want to make sure there isn't something stupid that I'm missing.

If anyone has any assistance they could offer, I would be very grateful. I'm very knowledgeable about computers so it should make the process of holding my hand much easier. Thanks loads in advance.

Examples:

SOMETHING going on in Uncharted Waters Online

[attachment=165073:2014-10-22_00014.jpg]

[attachment=165074:2014-10-22_00017.jpg]

Plants all up in my face in Planet Explorers

[attachment=165075:2014-12-26_00003.jpg]

LSD in Mount and Blade: Warband

[attachment=165076:2015-01-07_00001.jpg]

[attachment=165077:2015-01-09_00001.jpg]

[attachment=165078:2015-01-18_00001.jpg]

Schizophrenic Minecraft

[attachment=165080:Untitledmcwut2.png]

[attachment=165079:MCwut.png]

Edited by windrider739, 21 May 2015 - 10:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

A couple things can cause those strange artifacts.  A clue as to which one is really hard to tell in your case since you state clearly you have put two graphics cards in there so driver conflicts can cause this.

When you uninstalled the old card did you totally remove all the drivers and revert back to windows drivers?  If not then I can suggest getting a driver cleaner like ' display driver uninstaller? '

Restart the computer in safe mode and run DDU (when you install ddu make sure you don't install any of their 3rd party softwares)

Choose first to remove Nvidia drivers restart in safe mode and choose to remove AMD drivers-

Put in your nvidia card and download the newest driver from nvidia (you can also download the newest driver before you uninstall)

Check your games to see if they are running fine.

If not -

2.  Bad power supply /dirty power you didn't disclose your power supply specs so its hard to tell if it may be under par when it comes to powering nvidia cards they typically require more / cleaner power.  It could also be dirty power unless you are using a UPS.

3.  heat- The card's onboard memory -these artifacts can happen when the card gets too hot and the memory on the card is unable to compensate for the heat

#3 identityzero

identityzero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

My power supply unit is an APEVIA ATX-AP800W 12V - I've added this to my initial post.

The first thing I thought was heat. However, even when running Far Cry 4 at max settings on one window, Minecraft in another and streaming I very rarely breached temps of 60c.

I'm not sure what you mean by dirty power. The card is supposed to pull 150w if that helps. By my calculations I've still got a decent amount of power to spare. Additionally, the card is a Radeon, not an Nvidea.

That said, I did remove the drivers in the past each time I switched cards. However, it was from a windows menu so it may have left something behind. I will take your advice now and use the utility posted and get back to you with my results.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

If this is happening in all cases, not just games, boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.  

Safe Mode uses a limited amount of applications and drivers.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is a native Windows driver, not the driver that is used with your graphics card.  The resolution will look off, but that's just the way the native driver works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 identityzero

identityzero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

I went the extra mile and reformatted my hard drive. I do that about every six months anyway just to keep things tidy. (It's quicker than registry diving to clean things up) My card is reinstalled with the latest appropriate driver and all other drivers are once again up to date on my PC. Currently I am experiencing no issues, however I have done this before and the problems persisted.

For the short time that I used the native windows driver, I had no issues. However, I didn't try to do a lot either as my options were limited. For the record, neither the HD 5770 nor the onboard mobo video has presented the issues listed.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

Great I am glad it is resolved in that case I am sure it was some kind of driver conflict or driver problem.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

My gosh...  :blink:

Edited by dc3, 22 May 2015 - 10:20 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

LOL Dc3 .. not sure what  your post is getting at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users