Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Junkware Removal Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 molly1001

molly1001

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

I have Windows 8.1. I have been using the JRT to clear my Administrative Events list of errors and warnings in the event viewer.It was successful several times, but now it fails to clear the board.

The notepad indicates that the process was successful, but the number of errors and warnings not only remains, but the number increased from 550 to 750 (See below). Is there some way to fix this?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.7.5 (05.20.2015:1)
Ran by User on Wed 05/20/2015 at 20:03:11.00

~~~ Services

~~~ Tasks

Successfully deleted: [Task] C:\Windows\system32\tasks\Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-4255560375-720948185-3658540408-1002

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Scan was completed on Wed 05/20/2015 at 20:07:43.53
End of JRT log

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:22 AM

Hi,

Due to feedback from the community, I stopped letting JRT clear the event viewer logs automatically. The batch file which does this is still within the tool though. Check inside %temp%\jrt\ev_clear.bat

%temp% refers to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Temp on Windows Vista and higher. If on Windows XP, it will be at C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\Local Settings\Temp

You can run this file if you'd still like to clear all the event viewer logs. Hope this helps

Regards,

Thisisu

Edited by thisisu, 21 May 2015 - 01:23 AM.

#3 molly1001

molly1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

Thanks very much for your prompt reply to my question. I probably should have mentioned that I'm quite technologically-ignorant. I've attempted to use your fix, but have had no success.

I mentioned that I'm running Windows 8.1. I go to C:\Users\, but there is no file with my name. So I've tried just the User file, but have searched and searched for an \AppData\Local\Temp file, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

#4 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:22 AM

Going off the log you posted in post #1, it should be in this folder C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\jrt

You'll have to toggle "view hidden files and folders" to be able to see the "AppData" subdirectory (it's hidden by default). For help, read this guide: How to see hidden files in Windows

#5 molly1001

molly1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

OK, thanks to your instructions I located the jrt batch file. When I click on it a screen opens and messages go whizzing past, which indicates (I believe) that it is attempting to clear the 750 errors and warnings in my event viewer. However when I check, they are still in place.

The scrolling reads "Failed to clear log Microsoft-Windows- followed by each individual event. Some include :Access s denied."

Any idea why this is occurring? 

Again, I'm sorry to be a bother and I thank you for your attention

Edited by molly1001, 21 May 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

No problem. Try right-mouse clicking ev_clear.bat and selecting "Run as Administrator".

#7 molly1001

molly1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

And we have success! Thank you so much for your patience.

I have to confess, in the questionnaire when I was registering for your site, I answered the one about how I heard of  your site with "Google." That's only partially true. To my great embarrassment I was originally almost the victim of scam-artists when they called to offer their service to clean out my PC.

My laptop had been running very slowly at the time so I agreed to their $100 offer. It was only because they made the mistake of leaving the notepad read-out on my desktop before I paid them, that it occurred to me to google JRT. I of course discovered that they were simply running your free tool. Payment was NOT forthcoming

Your probably well aware of the scammers who are taking advantage of novices like myself, but I thought you might be interested in my experience.

Anyway, thanks again

Molly H. 

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

You're welcome. And thanks for sharing.

Surf safely :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic