Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

18 Hour Ram Test :s

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hello, my freinds has a prob with his pc. Pcworld said they need to run an 18 hour ram test :S its only 1GB. I am certain there is no such thing do PC World think his a n00b and lie or what??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

Well 18 hours is longer than the test should take. You do need to run Memtest for several passes (some people say seven) and that can take several hours. Also you have to test each module separately, so if he's got two 512s then it will take twice as long.

If they want to _charge_ him for 18 hours of labor for the memory test, then that is wrong. It only takes half an hour to set up the computer for the test (at most) and a few minutes to switch memory modules if there is more than one. The rest of the time it just runs unattended.

However, if they are just trying to explain that they cannot run the test while he waits, that he needs to leave his computer with them for a day, then that is reasonable. Especially since the memory may pass the test and they would then have to do more diagnostics.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

I just ran a test on 512 MB of RAM, and it took 18 hours to get 7 passes.

It just depends on the speed of the program and the computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users