Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot to completely black screen; no curser, no errors, no F8, no beeps...can't s

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lvtrvln

Lvtrvln

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hi! After the 5/13/15 windows update I'm stuck with a black screen and no way to follow instructions for downloads, repairs etc. on my Toshiba Satellite L675 with Windows 7. I've tried new power adapters, resetting with the battery removed, another monitor via VGA (didn't work) and the laptop didn't come with a Windows 7 disc. Randomly the laptop screen came up twice briefly; although the system was running very slow and Chrome and Firefox were hanging up, I ran a malware scan, the automated update troubleshooter, uninstalled KB3022345, restored to a previous point, backed up files to an external hard drive via Control Panel Backup (which now shows as 0 bytes) and updated several drivers. On the AMD driver, I received an error message so I downloaded and installed it from their website. After that it's stayed black; it boots but nothing's on the screen and F8 doesn't work. When the screen's black the amber indicator light I always see on the front of the laptop is not on; it may be the WiFi indicator but I'm not sure since there are two other options not lit. I'm not super tech savvy so I've literally spent a week trying to fix this and I'm exhausted. PLEASE HELP! 5/13 was my birthday..I can honestly say this is the WORST present ever! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,084 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Can you get into BIOS screen?

Usually F10, F12 or F2 during boot-up.

How old is the system?

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Lvtrvln

Lvtrvln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hi J.C., thank you for responding!

No BIOS. I tried F10, F12 & F2 both tapping and holding down.

Around 3-4 years.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,084 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

Does the system seem to be running & you just can't see it?

I have a Fujitsu laptop that does that.  Screen is always black, but does flicker on occasion.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Sorry for butting in here, but I see this a lot at work.

If you can't get to the boot screen by pressing F12 at boot, then IME it's most likely a hard drive problem.

And having the backup show 0 bytes is also a symptom of a hard drive problem (although it can be other things).

The test we do at work is to remove the hard drive and then see if the F12 key combo works.
Be sure to remove the power and battery before opening the case - and to ground yourself before handling the hard drive.

Then connect the power (it's OK to leave the battery out) and see if F12 gets you to the boot selection menu.

If that doesn't work, then the next thing to check is the RAM,

But that's a bit more finicky - as you have only 2 sticks and 2 slots

In that case, you try one stick in each of the slots and then the other stick in each of the 2 slots.

The point here is being sure that you remove power and ground yourself before handling the RAM each and every time.

You're again looking for the ability to get to the boot selection menu using the F12 key

In the event that it's a bad hard drive you'll have to contact Toshiba for a set of recovery disks.  Last I knew they were around $45 (US), but that's a lot cheaper than a new copy of Windows.

Here's a link for that (last updated in 2012):  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Lvtrvln

Lvtrvln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

JC. The system is definitely running and it boots as usual except for the black screen. It's like there's information there but I just can't see it. 

Hi John, thank you for responding as well! Just to be sure I put the hard drive back before testing the RAM and tapping F12 during each of these trials. It's the same response, I hear it booting up and going through the start up process I normally hear, I just can't see anything on the screen.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

Do you have an external monitor that you can attach to the laptop?

From what you describe, the boot appears to be proceeding normally, but you just don't get anything on the screen.

Another thing to check is the disk activity light over time.

If you press F12 during boot, the disk activity light should slow down more quickly than if you don't press F12

(as there's nothing for the disk to do while waiting for the selection after F12 - while not pressing F12, the system should still be booting into Windows even though you can't see it)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Lvtrvln

Lvtrvln
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

I've tried an external monitor via VGA and it doesn't detect input. I tried it before and after my screen intermittently worked, both times with the same result. I wish I would have tried it when my laptop monitor was briefly working.

The hard disc drive light isn't doing anything; however, I don't remember ever seeing a forth white light on my computer (which would be the hard disc drive indicator light).  I noticed the indicator lights were different because there's a missing amber light; I just researched it and amber is either for the secondary battery or the WiFi, neither of which is coming on.  The secondary battery charging light should be coming on; again, when the screen intermittently worked, the amber light came back on. 

I also just want to reiterate, this all started with the windows update on May 13th; prior to that it worked fine.  I was working on my laptop and it automatically shut down to install the updates; I remember it specifically because I was typing mid paper and missed the timer for the restart prompt when it shut down. Since then it's been a mess. Like I said I'm not computer savvy but I've read thousands of similar occurrences online with updates and driver configurations. The correlation seems more than coincidental.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

The only other "test" would be to install another hard drive and see if that worked - but that's spending money before you've even determined if the drive might be bad.  But, there are stores that will allow you to return parts if they don't satisfy you - so that might be an option.

Beyond that we're talking hardware stripdown - and with a laptop that's a very limited procedure (mostly involves replacing the motherboard - which isn't a fun task!)

If this was a Windows problem, then you'd see the POST screen for Toshiba (as Windows hasn't started to load until after POST has completed).

If we were able to get to the boot menu you could try booting to a Live Linux distrobution in order to rule out Windows that way.

#10 willpr0819

willpr0819

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

The only other "test" would be to install another hard drive and see if that worked - but that's spending money before you've even determined if the drive might be bad.  But, there are stores that will allow you to return parts if they don't satisfy you - so that might be an option.

Beyond that we're talking hardware stripdown - and with a laptop that's a very limited procedure (mostly involves replacing the motherboard - which isn't a fun task!)

If this was a Windows problem, then you'd see the POST screen for Toshiba (as Windows hasn't started to load until after POST has completed).

If we were able to get to the boot menu you could try booting to a Live Linux distrobution in order to rule out Windows that way.

Well, so far I've removed one of the RAM sticks and turned the computer on. No problem! Switched the other one in the same slot and still no problem. However, both RAM sticks in together and there are problems. By the way, it's on a custom ASUS desktop with 16 GB RAM, 120 GB Solid State Drive, and a bunch of other hardware I can list down if you want me to. I just don't get what is going on with computer. Motherboard perhaps? BIOS Update?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:29 AM

willpr0819 - please start your own topic so that your problem can get the individual attention that it deserves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users