Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Via Sound Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bretthuge

bretthuge

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hi, i recently re-installed windows and now my sound card doesn't work, it's a Via vt82c6868b, i've looked around and found a driver or two but they seem to be for a Vinyl deck. I've noticed that other people have had similar problems with this card but i couldn't find a useful solution, any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:56 PM

do any of these help

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/...p;perif=sonidos
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Brett,

I don't believe VIA makes sound cards. VIA makes chipsets for motherboards. That part number is for a VIA chipset which would indicate that you are using the sound chip that's built into your motherboard. It's probably a CMedia but might be something else.

You need to install the audio driver for your motherboard. If you have a drivers disk for your motherboard you will find the driver there. If you have a name brand PC that came with no CDs, you should be able to download the driver from the manufacturer's support site. You'll need the exact model number and probably serial number to get the right driver.

#4 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

sorry boopme the link wasn't much use but i appreciate the reply, Dave i think you may be right i think it is c-media but it was originally a Time computer (unfortunately) and they never gave me much in the way of software and i think they went out of business a while ago and may have been bought be someone else but anyway the only site i can find doesn't have jack on it.

any ideas?

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Brett,

Are you in the UK? I found a website for a company called TimeUK Factory Ltd., they sell desktops, laptops, monitors. Anyway if that's who made your computer you're right, they don't have _any_ support info or downloads. They seem to be pushing a comprehensive support package for 5.99UK Sterling per month. Sound as bad as some of the "Big Box" retailers in the USA.

My guess is these guys are assemblers, building computers from standard components. There used to be lots of them around in the US. They mostly used PCChips motherboards, these guys might as well.

Go to http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/optdiag.html and scroll down the page a bit to the link for Everest Home Edition v. 1.51. Download that version (it's the best) to your desktop. It's a ZIP file, I assume you know how to unzip files, if not check out one of these tutorials:

Windows ME/XP/2003: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/extract-zip-files-in-windows-me-xp-2003/

Windows 95/98/2000: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-and-extract-zip-files-in-windows-95-98-2000/

BTW, which operating system do you have?

Unzip the file to your desktop, the zip package only contains one file which is the installer for Everest. Install Everest, let it make a shortcut on your desktop. Once installed, double click the shortcut to run it.

When Everest opens you need to click the "+" on Motherboard, then click the motherboard icon. The first subheading shows Motherboard ID and Motherboard Name. Write those down. Close the Motheboard section by clicking the "-" in the left panel.

Next go to the Multimedia line and click the "+" then click on the line PCI/PnP Audio. Write down that line as well. Close the multimedia section and move on to the Devices . Open that section, and click on PCI devices. Under the top section on the right (Device Description) one of the items listed should be the same audio device you already saw. Click on that line and you'll see below some details about the device. Write down the Device ID, Subsystem ID, and Revision numbers. We may need these but hopefully not.

You can post this info in a reply here, if it is a PCChips board I can tell you the model number and you can download the driver from their website. If it's something else we can probably figure out who made it and what it is. Worst case, if we can't identify the motherboard we can certainly identify the sound chip and find a generic driver for it.

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:50 AM

Brett,

If you're still following this I have done some further checking. I was wrong, the VIA vt82c6868b southbridge _does_ have native audio capability, so it's entirely possible that your motherboard has no separate soundchip. You can download VIA's generic driver here:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...mp;SubCatID=100

Note that the page says Windows XP but the driver works with all versions of Windows from 95 up.

The "Vinyl" you mentioned in your first post is VIA's catchy name for their new improved all-in-one sound driver package. Installation instructions are below the specifications table at the bottom of the center panel.

#7 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

ok Dave thanks for the response, unfortunetly thats the driver i mentioned, it says it's the right thing but didn't really help? i could have installed it wrong but i doubt it as its a pretty simple thing.

I downloaded and installed Everest heres the motherboard info:
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 02/08/2002-8363-686B-6A6LMPACC-00
Motherboard Name Epox EP-8KTA2L/8KTA3L/8KTA3L+/KT-133A

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name EPoX Computer Company
Product Information http://www.epox.nl/english/products/default.htm
BIOS Download http://www.epox.nl/english/support/bios.htm

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

The Epox EP-8KTA2L, 8KTA3L, 8KTA3L+ all use the same but much older audio driver version. (3.90a)
You can download it here. I would remove any traces of the existing drivers you have already installed first however.
If your "re-install" was a clean install, I'd first download and install the via 4 in 1 chipset drivers, then the audio drivers afterwards.

Edited by HitSquad, 10 July 2006 - 03:38 PM.

#9 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

ok thanks hitsquad i'll do that, but that also reminds me that i did find a very old driver disk i got with the computer (i'm talking 6 or 7 years old) and it had a via 4 in 1 driver so i tried installing that but XP doesn't like it, it comes up as new hardware but can't find any drivers, it's: "VIA bus master IDE drivers" not sure what to do about this and and it was an update re-install not a clean install of windows.

#10 bretthuge

bretthuge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

Ok i tried both but i still con't get any sound?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

I know this will sound obvious but have you checked to see if your speakers are plugged in? If you have any sound drivers installed, try the "Upgrade Drivers" option in the Device Manager under "Sound, video, and game controller"> "Legacy Audio Drivers". This will sometimes force the drivers to install, if you select the drivers rather than allowing XP to automaticaly detect them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users