Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

English

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Can anyone explain or give an information about if someone ask you for example "no update yet"? Which answer is correct?
"Yes, no update yet" or "No, update yet". Please enlighten our mind (who are in doubt too) what is the correct sentence such question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

I would have to say that my immediate response to being asked the question 'No update yet?' would be on the lines of 'How do you mean?', but grammaticaly both 'Yes, no update yet' and No, no update yet'  would be correct and essentially supply exactly the same information.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Can anyone explain or give an information about if someone ask you for example "no update yet"? <snip>

Grammar not withstanding. My reply to the question would be. "That is correct. There is no update available at this time."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

I agree with Chris that English is sufficiently flexible and imprecise that either answer could convey the meaning. It seems silly I know.

The way I would understand it is that an abbreviated query like "No update yet?" has an implied context which we need to fill in, something like:

"(Am I correct in thinking there has been) no update yet?"

Like Animal says, I'd normally try to recognize the uncertainty, and aim to accommodate the context in my reply, rather than just saying yes or no.

Our response is influenced by our understanding of the implied context, and I'd answer much the same as Animal suggests.

However in an informal context like a colleague I speak to about computer matters frequently, I might well simply answer "No", and it would be understood as "Correct, there is no update."

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

#6 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Can anyone explain or give an information about if someone ask you for example "no update yet"?

Is that the same as telling a user to "Go ahead and backup?"   :crazy:

Cheers!

Naught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users