Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Win 7 install to desktop with only a dialup connection?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

In watching a tutorial it seems to want to update before it finishes.  (Win 7 HP 64 bit OEM)

Can this step be skipped? This is a new install onto a new hard drive in a desktop.

I'll eventually get it to a friends with wi-fi to do the updates.

Just wondering what will happen if the update step is skipped (if possible). I know Win 8 let me do this...I was hoping Win 7 would as well.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hi brian2009 :)

This step can be skipped as well during a clean installation of Windows 7. Everytime I install Windows 7 in my VMs, I have to install 150-180 Windows Updates, so I'm sure that they aren't installed during the original installation. Plus you end up with Internet Explorer 9, no .NET Framework, etc. You get them via the Windows Updates. In fact, it doesn't even ask you it during the installation, it just skips it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

For now go into control panel up top system and security, half way down the panel that opens click on turn on windows update turn it off until you a good connection.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

I think he didn't install Windows 7 yet Phil. Also, the option you mentioned appears at the end of the installation so he can select it there directly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

That's a Gotcha!!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

I just did a clean install of Win 7 2 days ago on a Samsung laptop..

After the install, there were 200-plus critical updates (232, I think) and the initial browser install is IE 8, not IE 9.  One of the critical updates will be the install of IE 11.

Louis

#7 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

Thanks guys.

Lots of updates but still less that going from win 8.0 and beyond.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

No problem brian, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users