Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Save My Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

Hello All,

I have a very strange little problem that I know is all my fault. I was creating a virtual drive on my internal hard drive, my secondary hard drive that does not have my OS on it, when I got a little confused. The virtual drive was being created, but I was not really sure if it was being created or not. I really thought that my actions were incorrect and I thought that nothing was happening. Well around this time, for some strange reason that I can not tell you (because I really do not know myself), I decided to restart my computer. The computer would not restart, instead the screen said "no operating system loaded, hit control alt delete to restart. I actually did that about 20 times with no change, so I took the computer apart and disconnected that stupid hard drive. I plugged the computer in and it booted up as normal. So I plugged my now questionable hard drive into the computer while it was running, and my computer ceased up. I disconnected the now questionable hard drive and restarted the computer, and here I am asking for any help or guidance. Please tell me that I can save the hard drive. Any advice is welcome.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

Hello,

On the web site listed here http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Virtual-Hard-Drive-in-Windows-8  I only got as far instruction number 6. The information in step number 7 is what I was waiting for, and that never happened. Because I never saw the new disc displayed as in step number 7, I assumed that I did something wrong and that nothing that I did had any effect. It was at this time that restarted the computer just because I like to restart my computer about every day or so. But now I do not know what to do with that hard drive.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

Since I  know you have some knowledge of Linux, have you considered booting from a live Linux CD/DVD and first backing up any data you can salvage from this disc then re-formatting it as either one or two partitions in NTSF format ?

Just be careful when choosing the drive to re-format - you wouldn't want to re-format your Windows drive !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

Since it seems that I can't boot up my computer with that particular hard drive plugged in, I might have to try to boot from a Linux disc by actually unplugging my C drive. I think that I can do that, but I don't see how I will be able to save any of the data on the disc if I boot from a Linux disc and then re-format the drive. I will look at that option more closely if that is my only option.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

If you have the bootable Linux disc all you need to do is to change the boot order in the BIOS so that your DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Thanks. I actually physically unplugged my main drive and then re-booted. It might have been the hard way, but I am actually more comfortable with the physical structure of my computer than I am with the OS and the programs and such. I guess that I accomplished the same thing in a different way, but thank you very much for your input.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users