Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

homegroup hack

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shayan8891

shayan8891

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Can somebody hack into my homehroup in windows 7 or add me to their homegroup without my knowledge?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

Hi shayan8891 :)

Is there any reason why you want to know that? In order to join a homegroup, you have to give the homegroup name and the password to join it. So of course, if somebody had access to your computer, and these informations, they could do that. But I don't see why someone would "hack" into your homegroup instead of your system itself. Sure, they could access your shared folders, printers, etc. but they would have way more possibilities by hacking your system instead of a system member of your homegroup.

Edited by Aura., 20 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 shayan8891

shayan8891
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

I asked because the homegroup on my computer had an unique password that I did not set ,nobody else has access to my computer

#4 shayan8891

shayan8891
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

My router was not secured for almost a year and its driving me insane right now

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

When you create a Homegroup under Windows, it gives you a unique password that can be used on other computers to join that Homegroup. Did you secure your router now?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 shayan8891

shayan8891
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

Yes,I did

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

Alright. Well, you could always leave the current Homegroup and join a new one I imagine if that can make you feel safer, but I never heard of someone "hacking" his way into a homegroup to compromise another system.

unite_blue.png

#8 shayan8891

shayan8891
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for replying :)

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

No problem shayan, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users