Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Antivirus For Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

Hello All,

I'm looking for a free AV scanner for Win XP Home. I thought I'd post here for opinions as to which is best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

either AVG Free or Avast are the best. Preferably AVG FREE.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

What makes you prefer AVG Free?

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

With AVG Free, you can scan for trojans, dialers, etc. and not have to pay. See the problem with programs you have to pay for is a lot of the times there are several issues:

a.) The customer/technical support is bad
b.) just the idea of paying for software... ugh
c.) The scans take longer

trust me, I've tried, Norton, McAfee, Zone Labs, Bit Defender, etc. None I like except Norton. But I don't use that now... I use AVG Free on my XP computer and Avast on this computer 'cause it can work with Windows Vista. AVG Free scans quickly, yet thoroughly and is just a good program to use.

Regards,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:03 PM

I have been using AVG for several years. I would also recommend it. It also has an active email scanner.
Don't forget to include the freeware antispyware, and third party firewall to your serurity blanket of software.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by acklan, 05 July 2006 - 08:53 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

I use AntiVir
http://www.free-av.com/

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

Found an interesting read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/57265/a-comprehensive-guide-to-av-software/

The Freebies – Alwil’s Avast, Grisoft’s AVG, and Avira’s AntiVir are the scanners that I refer to as the “freebies”, since their entire full version products can be obtained for free. It should also be noted that all three of these scanners are signature-based, and their heuristics are either weak or prone to false positives. AVG, although a popular scanner, is the weakest of the three. It has noticeably weaker detection rates from both Avast! And Avira, and has nothing that makes it exceptionally good in any area. Avast is a decent product. It is only really only slightly better than AVG, but enough so that it is a suitable to use as a decent on-demand or real-time scanner. Avira on the other hand is different. Detection wise, it is a massively better than either of these other products. But it consumes more resources, and isn’t really that good for real-time protection. For a casual user, Using! Avast real-time and Avira as on-demand would be the best set-up among these choices. AVG and Avast have average resource consumption, and ok scanning speeds, and could be used interchangeably for real-time protection (assuming that a different on-demand scanner was used).

Thanks for the info. I'll keep searching for a little while longer before going ahead with the install.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

AVG Free also has automatic updates. Not the case with most
free aps. :thumbsup: And they come at least every other day.
Posted Image

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

Found an interesting read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/57265/a-comprehensive-guide-to-av-software/

The Freebies – Alwil’s Avast, Grisoft’s AVG, and Avira’s AntiVir are the scanners that I refer to as the “freebies”, since their entire full version products can be obtained for free. It should also be noted that all three of these scanners are signature-based, and their heuristics are either weak or prone to false positives. AVG, although a popular scanner, is the weakest of the three. It has noticeably weaker detection rates from both Avast! And Avira, and has nothing that makes it exceptionally good in any area. Avast is a decent product. It is only really only slightly better than AVG, but enough so that it is a suitable to use as a decent on-demand or real-time scanner. Avira on the other hand is different. Detection wise, it is a massively better than either of these other products. But it consumes more resources, and isn’t really that good for real-time protection. For a casual user, Using! Avast real-time and Avira as on-demand would be the best set-up among these choices. AVG and Avast have average resource consumption, and ok scanning speeds, and could be used interchangeably for real-time protection (assuming that a different on-demand scanner was used).

Thanks for the info. I'll keep searching for a little while longer before going ahead with the install.

I do not have the knowledge or resources to test Antivirus program. I rely on personal experince to guide me. I spend 5 to 8 hour per day 3 to5 days a week on the internet. I have yet to have a virus or trogan get onto my main computer.
I choose to rely on AVG Free Edition as my main protection.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users