Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do google searches about proceeses lead to sites of optimizer tools?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

[rant]
Has anyone here ever searched for the name of a process or system file they wanted to know more about on google? Has anyone noticed what the results are?

The results pages are almost entirely filled with pages containing text like this. XXX.exe represents the process or system file you have searched for.

"Have you noticed XXX.exe in task manager or seen an eror from it? XXX.exe errors are common for users of many operating systems but can be fixed in one click by using our FREE registry cleaning optimizer tool, download it at the link below."

The text on these pages is the same for any and every system file or process you might search for, the sites doing this are clearly creating a template page and substituting in any file name they can think of. And all of them clearly exist not to explain what the files are but to encurage a user that a piece of software from that site will fix it all for them, in reality that sort of software will only ever cause problems for the user. After using it to fix XXX.exe's errors the user will find errors from YYY.exe and ZZZ.exe, that is if they can even boot any more, and upon searching for those processes/system files guess what they will find, maybe from a differet site this time advertising a different registry cleaner...

"YYY.exe errors are common on computers, they are always caused by problems in your registry or malware which ONLY our tool can detect and clean, download it below."

With small print

"We are not responsible for any system damage caused by our tool, detections by our tool do not imply the presence of any real malware but are purely for advice, we will not be held resposible for the bundled software which comes with our tool and might be even more dangerous than our tool, we are not affiliated with "windows" "microsoft" or any other major computer company which new users instantly trust we use their names for dispay purposes only"

hidden away, maybe written in unreadable fonts or made to appear as part of a graphic and stylised to blend into it, or as white text on a white background.

I find it shameful how such rubbish can reach the top of search results (not just google but any other search engine too), it prevents semi-experienced users from finding the infromation they need and ensures inexperienced users will quickly destroy their system by using tools marketed as being able to fix it. How search engines even allow pages which differ only in the name of the process described to get so high up in their listing, I cannot comprehend.

Has anyne else noticed these shaemful junk pages hogging the first pages of search results?

And ofcourse every time these rubbish pages get visited froma search engine the search engine's algorithms log it and "think" "user's like this page, they must like the site it's on, I'll take steps to bring other pages from sneakyadvertisingforspammyregistrycleaner.net and superdupercomputercureeverything.com and optimize-my-pc-until-it-cannot-even-boot.net higher up in this and other searches".
[/rant]

Edited by rp88, 20 May 2015 - 11:11 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

Three letters: S. E. O.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

It's crazy what websites you can bring at the top of Google results when you do proper SEO.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

Greed + SEO = Manipulated Google Search Algorithms

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

In the case of fraudulent websites being shown at the top of search results, I think it's called SEO poisoning.

The makers of SpyHunter (Enigma Software) use that tactic since they know no sane person will willingly purchase their software.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

It is SEO Poisoning Alex yes :)

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/tag/seo-poisoning/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

One of the wise[cleaner] products now offer SpyHunter as a side order.  Great!  :(  Thankfully, custom or advanced install [as well as unchecky] prevented installation of SpyHunter.  I mention this because no doubt in trying to eliminate the problem, OP will surely run across this and similar commercials offering to "help." 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

One of the wise[cleaner] products now offer SpyHunter as a side order.

Says a lot about their programs then, they should be avoided likke SpyHunter. I remember once, a website that looked exactly like the avast! one managed to SEO at the top of Google Search results, and the installer for it was bundled with adwares. But it really looked like the avast! webpage and the download as well, but it was just a bundled one.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users