Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 won't create a boot floppy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I am trying to create a startup disk in Windows 98. it gets to 20% then always gives an error

setup cannot properly initialize the disk you inserted. the device is not ready.

which '0 results' on the error message appear when searched in quotes in any search engine I try. without quotes it's garbage. it doesn't matter if I click OK or cancel. the same error message pops up and fails making an unusable floppy.

Please help me figure this one out. I lost 6 floppys now and they are hard to find these days. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Floppies degrade over time. So you might start out with a floppy that has something near 1.44KB and over time wind up with 600KB. If they aren't near 1.44KB after a full format then they are toast. Worst case the drive itself is bad. It could also be a that the drives cable is bad or not hooked up right (which is common). Sometimes it's possible to get the cable strap flipped because some drives doesn't have a key notch preventing that. If you look at the cable there should be a Twist in the middle of the cable strap at one end. This end hooks to the drive. There is also a red wire. A thing to always remember the red wire always connects next to the power cable on floppy drives and represents pin 1. Also, try pulling and reconnecting both ends and inspect the strap for tears or breaks in the wiring. They are easy to tear or break messing around with them inside a computer with a tight work space.

Edited by technonymous, 20 May 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

I found out that the floppy drive IDE ribbon wasn't properly inserted into the motherboard. I fixed my problem

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Glad to hear it. Have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users