Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP - Unwanted Computer Monitering

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jim169

jim169

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

I should say upfront that I am not very knowledgable with computers and how the work.  I am learning and am self taught, which means I have messed up my computer many times trying to figure it out.  I have an issue with both of my computers that is disturbing.  I am certain that my computers are being monitored by someone/something for some reason I have yet to determine.  I could make an educated guess based on my personal history.  I served 17 years in Federal prison for unsubstantiated Federal "conspiracy" charges related to drugs.  I completed my required supervised release and have made an effort to rebuild some sort of productive and satisfying life.  I stared my own painting business and have been relatively successful up to this point.  I am trying to learn and teach myself how to use my computer to aid in this process.  Recently I started to notice that my computer seemed to be making changes to various programs and functions all on its own which in some cases means that administrator privilages have been changed so that I cannot have access to my programs and services.  I have not seen any addition of a new user account but have certainly seen the specific changes in the security and permissions to these programs though no identification can be made.  For example, two days ago I tried to use my printer and could't.  While trying to figure out what was wrong I found that a new administrator had been added in the security and me as administrator had been changed specifically to be denied privelages.  I believe this action had to have been done by someone and was not simply a malfunction of my computer or printer.  I had to uninstall and reinstall my printer in order to reestablish my privelages.  This is just one instance of a number of similar and disturbing things that have happend.  At time while using a program or just vieiwing a page, documents, or photos my computer will suddenly change the format or content of the information I am viewing.  I have purchased the services of Best Buy Geek Squad to repair the numerous malfunctions I encounter and as part of their services I have Kaspersky antivirus.  When trying to locate and identify any invading program or user neither Kaspersky or Geek Squad has found anything.  And while I cannot say that the intruder has stolen anything from me like financial information or anything else, they have caused my computer to malfunction and I have had to have the Geek Squad repair my computer three times in the last two months.  I have tried to explain the specific details of the intrusion but they do not believe me and after they have serviced my computer I take it home and use it and the intrusion continues.  I believe that my computers are being monitored for some reason.  I would like to know by whom.  I am trying to find peace with myself and to establish some sort of productive and satisfying life for myself.  I am not involved with any illegal activity and spend my entire time trying to establish a successful painting business.  I have discussed this with my attorney who told me that he was not surprised by what is happening and that he could not suggest a course of action.  I would like to know if there is any way that I can determine if someone/something is monitoring my computer and if so if there is something I can do to prevent this unwanted and unauthorized intrusion of my privacy.  I am new to this site and its forums so forgive me if I have not followed the proper procedure or explained myself and my problem in an appropriate way.  But I would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance in this matter.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Are your computers linked not only via hardwire/wireless network, but also something like Teamviewer or any other similar remote assistance program?  

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 jim169

jim169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

Again I will say that I am not very computer smart but I will answer the best I can.  I have a wireless set up with a router and internet provider is Mediacom.  I do not completely understand the concept of "internet sharing" and certainly do not like the idea of "sharing" or having my personal or financial information accessable to anyone.  Some things I try to do seem to require this "file sharing" or my computer will say that I cannot do a certain thing because of "file sharing".  I have seen the control or program that sets the file sharing and I guess I don't really know how I should have my settings placed.  I do not like the idea that the government (or whoever has taken steps to invade my computer for whatever reason) can access my information and change it at will.  So far they have not done anything with my financial information as I do all of my banking online.  If their reason is to simply monitor my activities and/or gather information about who I might contact or associate with online then why bother changing my programs and costing me money and frustration?  I don't know what to do.  They even have access to my cell phone.  Specifically my text messaging which malfunctions repeatedly.  I even went and got a new phone after having the other gone through completely by the phone's service provider who said they can't find anything wrong with it.  Not two hours after I programmed the new phone the text messaging started doing the same thing.  The phone also shares my internet and is synced to various accounts mostly email accounts.  I don't know what to do.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

What are the results, what do the logs say, from running scans from your anti-virus program, your anti-spyware program, your anti-malware program?  Perhaps more seasoned BC techs will ask you to download and run MiniToolKit and SecurityCheck in order to better help you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 jim169

jim169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

The results of scans by Kaspersky and Malwarebytes say no viruses or intrusions.  I asked a tech at the Geek Squad if a program could have been placed somehow in my system that would allow this type of apparently unlimited access to my computer and he said it was possible but that he would have found it.  Somethings is either there or they have access a different way.  I don't have a clue either with my computers or my phone.  I don't like the file sharing concept and I have seen the setting where I can check a box allowing remote viewing or not.  I tried unclicking that box but when I did I couldn't access other features I was trying to use.  I can't recall right now what I was trying to do but I know I couldn't do it unless I changed that setting and allowed remote viewing.  It seemed odd to me because it had nothing to do with remote viewing.  I can't really think of anything I might do with my computer which would require it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users