Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reduce resources in Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

Take a look at the extension " The Great suspender "

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/05/20/the-great-suspender-extension-cures-chrome-of-resource-hogging/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

I can see this being useful for computers with limited resources (RAM and CPU), but I won't see the need for computers with like 6-8GB+ of RAM and a decent CPU.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

They have been aware and there is a team addressing it according to this article.

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/google-working-to-fix-chrome-high-ram-usage/

@aura I have 12 GB of RAM and a decent processor. I just get annoyed as heck there are 30 plus instances of Chrome running in task manager. But I only have 12 tabs open, but have closed at least 15 since I've had chrome open. Sure it's not a major issue with the amount of RAM I have. But WHY the 'leakage'?? It's ridiculous.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Because Google Chrome also creates a process for every individual extension and plugin running. Hence why. That's part of the whole "sandbox" aspect of Chrome :P

http://www.howtogeek.com/124218/why-does-chrome-have-so-many-open-processes/

If you use the built-in Task Manager in Google Chrome, it should tell you what is currently active.

Edited by Aura., 20 May 2015 - 02:44 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users