Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tablet freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

I do not get BSOD but just lately my fairly new Windows 8.1 Tablet has been freezing. I have to hold the power button for a while and re-boot. It has started to happen around the time of an MS update but I suspect more relevant is the fact that I have just installed Google Chrome and a Chromecast (which does work well). So far it has only happened when the Chromecast is in use. 

I also occassionally get Kernal Data Inpage Error (pdc.sp) with a message that the computer has a problem, is dealing with it and will restart automatically. However, the progress of this is stuck at 0% and it does not re-start so I have to press the power button.

Also, of possible relevance, is that I am very short of free storage space on my SSD despite many efforts to reduce demands on it (uninstalling apps, using a Memory Card with portable apps instead, storing on the Cloud, etc.) Despite this the Disk's free storage frequently drops to a critical level (I have gadgets which monitor it continuously).   

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

Hi Clayto ^_^,

Kindly follow the instructions in the below thread and upload the ZIP file with your next post so that it could be analysed -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Many thanks for your response.

I have followed the link and will print out the article so I can follow the procedure carefully if / when I need it --- I am hopeful the problem may  have been resolved.  I carried out a DiscScan (using Glary Utilities) which reported a couple of errors which were then  repaired on next startup.  Since then I have not experienced a freeze.  I may be being a bit over optimistic as I have not used the Chromecast a lot (if that is the cause of the problem).  I expect to do so tomorrow, so we will see.

I have remembered using CheckDisc quite a lot on my WXP years ago.  This is the first time I have used it on W8.1.

clayto

#4 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

I do not get BSOD but just lately my fairly new Windows 8.1 Tablet has been freezing. I have to hold the power button for a while and re-boot. It has started to happen around the time of an MS update but I suspect more relevant is the fact that I have just installed Google Chrome and a Chromecast (which does work well). So far it has only happened when the Chromecast is in use. 

I also occassionally get Kernal Data Inpage Error (pdc.sp) with a message that the computer has a problem, is dealing with it and will restart automatically. However, the progress of this is stuck at 0% and it does not re-start so I have to press the power button.

Also, of possible relevance, is that I am very short of free storage space on my SSD despite many efforts to reduce demands on it (uninstalling apps, using a Memory Card with portable apps instead, storing on the Cloud, etc.) Despite this the Disk's free storage frequently drops to a critical level (I have gadgets which monitor it continuously).   

clayto

Could you elaborate on this, or even take a picture?

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:48 AM

Jared44

If it happens again I will try to do as you ask --- I think the issue has now cleared.

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users