Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The future of Smart Files in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:37 AM

While resarching what happens with OneDrive sync when files are deleted in the Desktop OneDrive Folder I discovered something about plans for Smart Files for Windows 10, which may well affect decisions about (if and when) to upgrade to 10. To clarify, Smart Files mirror files online but do not take up space on the HDD. They are represented by placeholders and can be 'viewd' even though the file is not actually there! This saves space on the Hard Disk, and for me (and presumably others) with my small Drive on my Tablet is very important.

It appears that Microsoft is planning not to implement Smart Files when Windows 10 is launched for the public. This has alarmed some people, some of whom are threatening to abandon OneDrive altogether because of it ---- 'when Smart Files go, I go' is a common response. However, Microsoft has put some effort into explaining two things: a replacement for Smart Files will be introduced later (this year) in an update, and in the meantime there will be an alternative way of avoiding files on OneDrive taking up space on the local Disk. As I understand it, details of this are not yet available.

I am not at all technically savvy (I have only just discovered Smart Files and making files only available online while still visable locally; and the benefits of this.)  So if I have said anything which is either incorrect or misleading about this I welcome being corrected, and I would welcome any further information.

Clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users