Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My little story...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zackers

Zackers

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

So...I love tech. 

5-6 years ago, working in healthcare in a small, private practice I got into management then became an "unofficial IT guy". I got a lot of hands on experience in upgrading computers, trouble shooting, basic networking, windows server, EHR and HIPAA, office and the proprietary systems we used...

So, I think I would like to expand into the IT world some more for the purposes of adding to my resume, perhaps have secondary income, have a fall-back career or possibly switch to that career in the future. And of course, for fun.

I have no degrees, all my knowledge is from experience, reading articles and listening to hours and hours of TWIT. So I was thinking of getting my CompTia A+ and from there maybe the CompTia Healthcare IT cert- since I'm in healthcare anyway...

Two questions...

1. I'm eyeballing ITPro TV and the COMPTia Certmaster bundle. Which is better, and is there a better option then these two? To give an idea of where I'm at, I looked over 30 801 and 30 802 sample questions and half I knew easily, some I guessed right and the rest I had no idea. 

2. I've helped a lot of people out with their computers. I was thinking about, after or while getting the CompTia, doing a sole proprietorship repair/ consulting biz...it would be part time...mostly friends family and local low income friends of  friends. I little income but mostly pro-bono and charity work. Mostly for fun and experience. My question is how valuable would this be on a resume and what would be the most important things about it to make known about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

I listen to TWiT's Security Now and know that TWiT has a discount for ITPro TV.  I don't remember what the yearly rate was, but it should be comparable and have more course material than the CompTIA bundle. Myself, I used Exam Cram books and the Transcender practice exams.

While you can't really put the work for friends on your resume, but they can serve as references and a member of your network to let you know that an IT job is available.

If you're planning to get into IT it is best to do it sooner rather than later.  Partly because most of the certifications these days require renewal every couple of years.  Once you're doing the work the certifications aren't as important, unless your company requires they have X number of people with Y certification.

I don't know how much you make, but getting into IT will probably entail a pay cut.  People doing the hiring are going to want experience and certifications, if not a degree.  You can use contract work to break into the field to get experience and get paid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users