Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 black screen with cursor after startup, no safe mode

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JoeJack

JoeJack

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hello all,

I am currently experiencing some issues with an Hp Pavilion dv5, running Windows 7 Home Premium. After startup, the windows logo is displayed, and then the screen goes black with only the cursor visible. The cursor is movable. I have tried booting into safe mode, however, the same black screen with movable cursor appears.

I have already tried a number of solutions I found online, and all thus far have failed. I tried pressing control+alt+delete at the black screen, and nothing comes up. I have tried booting in low-res mode to see if a graphics driver was the issue, still only a black screen with cursor. I have tried connecting to an external monitor with no luck as well. I have also ran memtest, and a hard drive test, both of which showed no issues.

I have already ran Malwarebytes offline through Hirens BootCD, and also ran Offline Windows Defender, to get rid of any malware or viruses. I have also loaded a Windows 7 Repair disk and have attempted a Startup Repair (in which it shows no issues), a System Restore (which is unsuccessful), and have also tried booting with the last known good configuration (which also did not work).

I did some more exploring using the command prompt on the Windows 7 repair disk. When I run “bootrec /scanos”  I receive a message saying:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.”

I am unsure what else to try, and I’m really trying to avoid doing a clean install. I have access to a desktop running Windows 7 that I can hook the notebook hard drive up to via SATA if this helps at all. Any help getting this laptop to boot windows again would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

Although this was originally issued for Vista, the techniques apply to any HP system and/or Windows O/S, IMO.  I would try the steps outlined.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01634637

Louis

#3 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, none of those steps were successful in fixing the black screen issue.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Any error message indicating that a Windows install is not detected...is a possible indicator of a failing hard drive.

I would try System Diagnostics Basic Hardware Diagnostics Tests .

Louis

#5 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

I have tested both the RAM, and the hard drive. Both have shown 0 errors. I can also successfully access the affected hard drive on my desktop. 

Thank you again, I hope this issue can be resolved!

#6 swallow1929

swallow1929

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hello,

1. I would check if there is any media in the computer (CDs, DVDs, etc.)

2. Disconnect everything but the mouse, keyboard and monitor. 

3. Press F10 at boot. 

4. Press F5 to restore restore defaults and save your settings before exiting. 

#7 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

Thank you for the reply swallow1929,

I disconnected everything and pressed F10 at boot, it takes me into "InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.5". Using F5 in this functions as a "change values" command, and at no point allows for restore defaults. Under the "Exit" tab there is an option to "Load Setup Defaults," however, all the settings seem to be in their original state. The only setting I had changed was the boot order, switching it to USB first to attempt repairs with the Windows 7 Repair Disk. I switched the Notebook Hard Drive back to first in the boot order, and I still only get a black screen with movable cursor after booting.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for the help

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Using Hirens do the steps in the first answer here to replace your registry hives. Rename the Hives in config, do not delete them. If that does not work then do the second answer. You will need a System Repair Disk to the steps listed.

Edit: A Windows 7 install disk can also be used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#9 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

I followed the steps in the first answer, and still got a black screen with movable cursor when attempting to boot. Following the steps in the second answer, everything went as planned until I attempted the ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old. When I entered this command, I received a message saying "A duplicate file names exists, or the file cannot be found."

Any suggestions?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

Open a command prompt with the System Repair Disk. Type the following

Diskpart

list disk

Select Disk X     X is the number given to the disk that has the Windows install

List Volume        Post the results

Exit                    Exits out of Diskpart

Edit: Under List Disk is there a asterisk listed under GPT?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#11 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

Here is a URL for an image of the result of your instruction. 

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo9/jjackson1616/20150524_184334_zpsgbs97t8h.jpg

Let me know if that link doesn't work for some reason...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

I noticed that your windows partition is listed as D: and your Boot System Reserved Partition partition is listed as C:

Again type the following commands in command window. 

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk 0

List Volume

Select Volume 1

Detail Partition

Is the partition listed as active?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#13 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

Yes, it shows the partition listed as active.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

At the command prompt, not the Diskpart prompt, type the following

bcdboot D:\Windows /s C:

Remove your Repair Disk and reboot. Do you still get a blank screen?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2015 - 09:35 PM.

#15 JoeJack

JoeJack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

Excellent! After entering that command, I was able to access the login screen! However, I was still not able to fully access the computer. At the login screen I attempted to login on the only user in the computer, I entered the password, and it sent me to a black screen with a movable cursor once again! This error may be due in part to my own mistake. When the computer initially was unable to boot I removed the hard drive, connected it to my desktop via SATA, and attempted to save my files. Initially, I was unable to access the files due to the permissions. I looked up a way to alter the permissions so I could access the files from my desktop, and it was successful. In doing so, it actually removed the original user permission from the hard drive, and made it so my desktop user was the only one that could access the files. I can't seem to find a way to reset the permissions to the user on the notebook hard drive itself. Could this be causing the black screen after logging in? If so, do you know how to correct the permissions for the original user?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users