Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System shuts down by itself on occasions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scopio

scopio

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

Attached File  perfmon.zip   137.59KB   0 downloads Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.1MB   1 downloads

OS Windows 7 HP

64 bit

Retail

Self build 2009

OS same from date of build

CPU AMD Phenom II Quad Core 955 AM

Video Card Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 VA

Motherboard ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AMD 790FX

Power Supply Zalman ZM850-HP High-Efficiency

Self-built Desktop

Recently the pc shuts down by itself there is no BSOD, the screen just freezes and if any sound is playing it also hangs and becomes a buzzing/wining sound. Then it stands like this until I reboot, after it have happen computer boots and windows starts as normal and sometimes the BIOS asks to Press F1 to continue and then Windows asks to which mode to boot into, Safe Mode, with Internet, command prompt or normal mode. After which I choose normal mode and Windows boots again and everything works fine again. On occasions when I first power up the pc the BIOS asks to insert media as it can't find the operating system. I have gone into the BIOS and the C drive is not detected, this happens very occasionally.

Edited by scopio, 19 May 2015 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ring 0

ring 0

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

Recently the pc shuts down by itself there is no BSOD

There's definitely a lot of bug checks hapenning here, so there is a BSOD. You just may not be seeing it.

3: kd> .bugcheck
Bugcheck code 00000124
Arguments 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0aa7a8f8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000

If we dump the WER structure:

===============================================================================
Section 2     : x86/x64 MCA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descriptor    @ fffffa800aa7aa08
Section       @ fffffa800aa7ab90
Offset        : 664
Length        : 264
Flags         : 0x00000000
Severity      : Fatal

Error         : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
  Status      : 0xfa00000000070f0f

It's a generic timeout error on the bus, and given the symptoms you described, I'd say this is bad RAM.

Run memtest for 8 passes:

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled .ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

Do note that some older generation motherboards do not support USB-based booting, therefore your only option is CD (or Floppy if you really wanted to).

How Memtest works (you don't need to read, it's only for those interested in the specifics):

Memtest uses algorithms (specifically two), namely moving inversion & what is deemed Modulo-X. Essentially, the first algorithm fills the memory with a pattern. Starting at the low address, it checks to see if the pattern was changed (it should not have been), writes the patterns complement, increments the address, and repeats. Starting at the highest address (as opposed to the lowest), it follows the same checklist.

The reason for the second algorithm is due to a few limitations, with the first being that not all adjacent cells are being tested for interaction due to modern chips being 4 to 16 bits wide regarding data storage. With that said, patterns are used to go ahead and ensure that all adjacent cells have at least been written with all possible one and zero combinations.

The second is that caching, buffering and out of order execution will interfere with the moving inversions algorithm. However, the second algorithm used is not affected by this. For starting offsets of 0-20, the algorithm will write every 20th location with a pattern, write all other locations with the patterns complement, repeat the previous one (or more) times, and then check every 20th location for the previously mentioned pattern.

Now that you know how Memtest actually works, it's important to know that the tests it goes through all mean something different. It goes from Test 0 through Test 12, many of which use either one or the other algorithm discussed above, among many other things.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

#3 scopio

scopio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Run Memtest+ No errors reported :thumbup2:

#4 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

If Memtest passed, remove the video card and see if the crashes stop. If not, then unfortunately the issue is probably a bad CPU or a bad board given the symptoms described + WER output.

You can't run diagnostics for either, so it'll come down to just replacing them.

#5 scopio

scopio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

It may be an application I use to watch TV on the pc namely TotalMedia 3.5 which is when the pc crashes most often. As to replacing the video card or motherboard I would be reluctant to do without knowing for certain that either of these two pieces of hardware are failing.

#6 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

That's why you should remove it as I recommended.

#7 scopio

scopio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

That's why you should remove it as I recommended.

Sorry to have taken so long to answer but had to save up to buy new graphics card (Sapphire Dual X R7 370) as mobo does not have integrated graphics card.

Upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Replaced card and installed new driver, so far I have not had the BSOD. What I do have now is the BIOS reporting "Realtec LAN cable not ready, enter setup for detail" when powering on pc, which did not happen when I had Windows 7 HP. When I do enter setup I cannot find where the "detail" is. BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. Version 1303.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users