Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Flash player is the best?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

I have shockwave and it keeps crashing.  Earlier, I disabled Adobe since several crashes and reading that one should not have 2 flash players enabled. I'm mainly using Chrome and sometimes IE on Windows 8.1

Thanks for your thoughts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

The difference between Shockwave and Flash is that Shockwave is supposed to be more suitable for gaming. Other than that, they are the same product produced by the same company. Flash is built into Chrome so you shouldn't need to download anything. But it is a separate download for IE and Firefox. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by two Flash players but I have Flash on all three browsers and I recently updated Flash for IE and Firefox.

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

IE was constantly crashing and I read that having both of the the flash players enabled can cause IE to crash and after disabling Adobe IE has been virtually crash free. Also, with many of the malware potentials with Adobe's Flash disabling or uninstalling has been recommended. I also have MS Silverlight, but I see that's being discontinued. Is there any reason to keep Silverlight?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

The problem with the advice to disable or remove Flash is flash is commonly used on Youtube and other sites. So most users will need it. Maybe IE is crashing for a different reason. I haven't heard anything about Silverlight being discontinued but it never made a dent in Flash's market share. The only major site that required Silverlight was Netflix. So it's useless but I've noticed in the past that it can be difficult to remove so I would just leave it alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users