Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikepin

mikepin

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Went here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/moviemk.exe-1374.html and left a comment concerning this file. At any rate is there any way I can fix this thing? I even went out and got new System Mechanic 6 Professional and still get freeze up. Work's fine for a bit and then...bam! Doesn't seem to be doing any good reporting the error thru error reporting or e-mail's...help.

P.S. Sorry if this should have been somewhere else. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

How about some system spec's on your computer? As much as you can and also some error messages would be excellent. We can not fix it with out some information.

Thanks

#3 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

I do have some screenshots (about 5) of various error's, etc... I have been getting.

I'm on a Dell dimension 2400 desktop with 256mb ram/windows xpsp2/Intel Pentium 4 2.66 ghz/norton anti-virus/56k/ external dsl cable modem.

Hope that's it. I have spybot and ccleaner as well. I can be just thinking of my next move not doing anything as far as commands or key board anything and it'll just lock up. A few times I have had to ctrl/alt/delete for the task manager it get's so locked up. Just reformated and installed xpsp2 also but I was getting the moviemaker error before that happened also.

Anyway, back to where we began, how do I send or attach the screenshots I have and should I post a HJT logfile in the HJT thread?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup: Mike

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

In order to send a screen shot you will have to use a host site, such as photobucket. There are several free ones out there, just google photo host and see what comes up.

As ThorXP has said, you need to post the specific errors that you have been getting in order for anyone here to help you. A screen shot would work, but for now...just type out the error codes and or messages please.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Sorry for the mix up should have thought of that and done it myself. Ahhh, frustration kilss thought process at times :thumbsup:

Error signature
Event Type: BEX P1: moviemaker.exe P2:2.0.3312.0 P3:3e038613
P4:comctl32.dll P5:6.0.2900.2180 P6:4110968c P7:0004e183
P8:coooo409 P9:00000000

Error Report Contents:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\wEROc7adir00\moviemaker.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WEROc7a.dir00\appcompat.txt

These reference's were all I could see to copy in the screenshots I have. Hope they help. Alot of the time I don't
get an error report at all and the process will say it's running but nothing will respond including trying to close the program , can't attempt to save anyway nothing will happen with click on except task bar or desktop then they take forever to load and don't fully close once you ok the command and close.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

What I would suggest doing is to remove Service Pack 2 and reboot and re-install it to try and fix the comctl32.dll error and to re-install Movie Maker. Also I would check and see if there is a newer version of Movie Maker up on Microsoft's site. Here is an article on how to un-install SP2

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

Here is a link to the full version of SP2 and do not worry about it being for the network version you are on a network. And this is a long download. Use broadband if you can.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 full installation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Here is a link for the newest Movie Maker

Windows Movie Maker 2.1 Download
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...oviemaker2.mspx

Edited by ThorXP, 06 July 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#7 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

Grrrrrrr, Okay this is what I have done. I went to the how to uninstall link and did as prompted....until the command prompt after administrator password. typed in cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spunist as it directed and it said entry was not found in the directory. Tried a couple of different formation's (space's/no spaces,ect...) to no avail.

?????????Now what?
Mike

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

You spec's say you have 256 Mb Ram, You amy wish to add another 256 or 512 Mb more. This program is going to use a lot of Memory and I believe it needs atleast 512 Mb more.

#9 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

The program meaning moviemaker I assume....hmmmm, so I need to up memory to 512 in other words another memory card?
Mike

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Does you computer have its own video card that goes into an option slot like a PCI or AGP slot? Or does it just have a built in card that is part of the motherboard?

If it is an AGP or PCI card how much video ram does it have and what kind is it? DDR or what kind?

#11 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

PCI but I don't see what that would have to do with it since it ran fine BEFORE xpsp2 and came with windows xp1 when I first got the computer. System requirements for movie maker say I'm fine and that doesn't answer the question of why no matter what options or links I go to I cannot get anything suggested to work as people say it should. Why don't the command prompt work to uninstall xpsp2? Why does everything keep saying to go to windows update and update shows me nothing I need or any kind of movie maker links? Why do you have to completely uninstall windows xp in order to fix movie maker and then there is a download link for it as well which only duplicates the movie maker file and cause's it to run even worse? Can this program actually be fixed or not?
Thanks for all the help.Mike

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hi mikepin.
We need to get a few things cleared up here.
You said you reformatted and installed XPSP2. That can be taken two ways.
I assume this means you re-installed XPSP1 that originally came with your system then applied the SP2 update afterwards? If so, SP2 should be listed in Add\Remove provided you have the "show updates" option ticked. You should be able to simply remove it from there or, using Start>Run, copying and pasting the "entire" command from the above article. ( c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe) provided windows is installed on c:.
In any case, I don't think it's going to help since you've had this problem from the get-go.
"COMCTL32.DLL" is what windows uses to display dialog boxes, list boxes, etc.
There is a known issue with movie maker when in "details" view which may be your problem. Switch out of it and see what happens.
Also, there is another problem concerning the movie maker update link left above.
See this article to work around it.

#13 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hello, and sorry to take so long to get back. I pretty much see what you mean now. Yes I had to delete the partition and completely reinstall everything. I have xp 1 & 2 on disk so I did all that, reinstalled drivers, etc... For the novice I am a difficult task. HJT's etc... all look fine. Went to the work around you provided and the
registered package file C:\Windows\RegisteredPackages\{60BFF50D-FB2C-4498-A577-C9548C390BB9} is not there so thus I could not continue with the workaround.

I am of course still on this subject because even after the re-formatting I am still have some (though not as bad or frequent) lock up issue's but my main issue now seem's to be saving the movie because I continue to get "virtual memory" warning's concerning paging files. I went to this in the control panel/performance and maintenence/system/ Advanced tab/settings tab/advanced and increased the paging file (recommended setting 381mb) to 650mb since the allowed maximum is 768mb. Exited and loaded up movie maker and tried again. It saved hardly none of it at all so I went back through control panel changed the set back to the way it was (381mb) and left it at that.

I'm hoping all this detail will help you guy's alittle bit with this thing. It is an awesome program when it works right and I have become good with it having no desire to re-learn another program I'd like to stick with it. All help appreciated and thanks alot for it as well! java script:emoticon(':thumbsup:', 'smid_24')
:flowers:

Mike

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

If you have a problem that is caused by SP2 (or any other security update) Microsoft offers free support:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

The following may help:

"Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small" Error Message After Windows XP Upgrade

View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 316528
Last Review : April 21, 2004
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q316528
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer after you upgrade to Windows XP, the performance may be slow and you may receive an error message similar to the following:
Limited Virtual Memory.
Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.

To fix this problem, go to System in Control Panel, click the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click Settings. On the Advanced tab, click Change. Click Custom size, and then type an initial or maximum page file size.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316528/en-us

I don't believe there is a maximum limit on page file size.
I would make it much larger as an experiment and see if it helps - somewhere about 1 gig or even more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users