Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can infected OS hard drive infect the host if connected as USB drive?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

If you have any experience with Linux, boot up a machine with a LiveCD then connect up the external disks.  Chances are good that you will be able to at least look at the contents to figure out if it's the one you want to mark.  This also gives some level of protection against infections on the drive, especially if they came from Windows machines.

Of course, in the future as soon as you pull a drive out of a machine you're going to write on it with black sharpie, aren't you?  :)

I typically do this when I put a drive in or make any changes to a machine.  The inside of a desktop case is great for writing things like "21 May 2015 replaced power supply".  It gives you a history as soon as you open the case, even if hardware has failed.

Just my opinions, feel free to disagree or ignore.

I usually use small stickers that I put on the connector side of the hard drives. The Linux machine idea is pretty neat, but I don't want to take any chances, like ever. If something's infected, it has to go.

That's why Linux LiveCD or equivalent (WRT taking chances).  Boot from a CD-ROM, rest of filesystem live in RAM, so the worst that happens is hit the big red switch and kill power.  To be overly cautious, you could even unplug other harddrives.  It sounded to me that your goal was to be able to identify the one drive out of a bunch that you wanted to save;  I based my suggestion on that.  Drives that you don't want could even be wiped from the LiveCD environment:  use dd with /dev/null as the input, start at block 0 of the raw disk device, use fdisk/gpartd to overwrite partition tables.  A bit of consulation with Professor Google should lead to other utilities that would securely wipe a drive.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users