Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BleepingComputer now offers a dedicated Windows BSOD and Crashes support forum!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

We are pleased to announce a new forum that allows our members to receive help resolving Windows BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), crashes, and hang issues. If you are experiencing Windows crashes or BSODs, you now have the ability to upload minidump files, which contain information about your crash, to be analyzed by our helpers. Analyzing these files will allow them to determine what driver or application appears to be the culprit and then advise you on how to fix it.

If you are experiencing these issues, then you should follow the steps in this topic to get started:

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

We are also extremely excited that jcgriff2, a known BSOD Expert and Microsoft MVP, has assisted in helping us launch this new forum. jcgriff2 is the owner and admin of the Windows Forum called Sysnative.com and a Microsoft Windows Experience MVP. Having him help is not only a boon for BleepingComputer.com, but also for anyone else who may receive support from him.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Didn't think BC could get better than it already was ,  thank you Grinler and especially jcgriff2 for making this happen.

#3 Valinorum

Valinorum

Shadow Hide The Hunter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

This is a great news indeed. :)

Geek U Graduate

I close my topic(s) with no replies for more than 4 days. PM me or Moderators to reactivate. All helps are provided via forum ergo do not PM me for help.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

Awesome!

Is there any chance of adding some kind of a self-help guide to debugging BSODs on your own for the (slightly) more technically inclined? I work for a repair shop, and don't want to be a pest in posting a thread on every single BSOD that we can't trace down ourselves. We use Nirsoft's BlueScreenView to review the codes, check for obvious hardware issues (hard drive, RAM, etc.), check for infections, otherwise our hands are in the air if it is a pretty generic code with results all over on Google (0x7E comes to mind).

Great to hear there's a dedicated place for support should we get really stumped on something though. :)

Edited by Demonslay335, 19 May 2015 - 12:52 PM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Once I learn how to do it, I will be sure to try and create some self-help guide :)

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

It's nice to see that there will be a section dedicated to these issues, since they take quite a bit of space in the various Windows sections. Also, in top of John and Jared, and I know that a lot of contributors will be from Sysnative and they are all amazingly skilled in what they do :)

Edited by Aura., 19 May 2015 - 02:41 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!

Special thanks to Grinler for making this effort possible.

Sincerely,

John

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#8 ring 0

ring 0

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Is there any chance of adding some kind of a self-help guide to debugging BSODs on your own for the (slightly) more technically inclined?

My blog has a lot of content for debugging various bug checks, you can check there. Also, I have compiled a list of tutorials on another forum I'm on which is located here.

It's hard to compile it all into one post, as debugging is a lengthy topic with a lot of prerequisite knowledge.

#9 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

Yay!

Thanks JC for your efforts ;)

& Thanks Grinler for allowing this. This was the only required thing for the BSOD Helpers. Once again, thanks!

EDIT:- Grinler, there is just one minor thing left. On the forum home page, the group for the BSOD Kernel Dump Expert has the colour of the Malware Response Team.

-Pranav

Edited by blueelvis, 20 May 2015 - 05:43 AM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#10 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

"Learning how to do it." There is no doubt that you will achieve success. I should have thought of that years ago, but treated each failure as dynamic and individually. Thanks for face palming this ugly old guy. I need someone like you on my staff. :)

#11 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:12 AM

Great Idea Grinler!

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

We are pleased to announce a new forum that allows our members to receive help resolving Windows BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), crashes, and hang issues....

#13 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

This is an excellent addition to the forums. :clapping:

Thank you for helping us launch this new forum jcgriff2!

#14 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hi Grinler,
This was a good idea... :thumbsup2: Nice to have that subforum added to BC!
Welcome all BSOD resident and other experts! :hello: :flowers:

Pranav :

Grinler, there is just one minor thing left. On the forum home page, the group for the BSOD Kernel Dump Expert has the colour of the Malware Response Team.

@Pranav: Its slightly- different... Too easy to miss, though..

@Grinler: No group is there with the name ' BSOD Kernel Dump Expert ' on forum main page. Please add it...
:idea: As for color conflict, I suggest SADDLE BROWN or #cc00ff (according to name, it should have been BLUE, but it hits with Global Moderator)

***me***Just wondering where will the new group be inserted in the hierarchy... :huh: . :guitar:

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 22 May 2015 - 08:35 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

@Grinler: No group is there with the name ' BSOD Kernel Dump Expert ' on forum main page. Please add it...

Working on it..having a problem with the hook that does it. Hopefully fixed today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users