Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Hard Drive Qs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sodicka320

sodicka320

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi everyone

Just about to order a 1tb WD hdd and usb caddy and use WD 's free Acronis True Image WD Edition Software to clone my main drive on my work Pc which is around 6 years old...

A couple Qs i have are :

1 1tb new drive to back up 300 gb of used disk on a 640gb , ok?

2 How long to copy.

3 How long to update (subsequent copies of same disk)

4 If Pc completely redlined would clone copy work in new pc?

Cheers Kev 
cool.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

As far as I can see from your writings - you're good to go!  How long for cloning or image restore or copying folders/files -- don't know.

Addendum:  I was wrong about being good to go.  A later poster is very accurate, follow that advice.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 May 2015 - 08:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 sodicka320

sodicka320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for reply , would it be able to be slotted into a new pc and work though ?

Cheers Kev :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

Regarding question 4, your cloned drive would not work in a new PC if the hardware was not identical. If both drives have the same interface which on modern drives is SATA then yes, you would be able to install it in them new PC.

If you are planning on putting the drive in a new PC, you would need to first create a disk image of the old drive and then restore it to the new drive in the new computer using a imaging program that would be able to recover to new hardware. You would still have to provide the needed drivers and also activate windows on the new computer but if the OS is an OEM version then you would not be able to activate as the OEM versions can only be used on one computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users