Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive light on constantly and sluggish performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RICKSTER40

RICKSTER40

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

I recently reinstalled windows 7 on my Toshiba Satellite laptop  ( Intel Core I3,  4 gb ram).  Now the hard drive light is on nearly constant with a rare flash here and there and it is sluggish. It takes about 45 secs to 1 minute to launch a web browser for example and startup and shutdown are also very slow. .  I have installed all of the windows updates so it is now current.  There is bare minimum of programs installed.  I have defragmented the hard drive and checked it for any problems but it came back clean.  I also ran memtest and the memory shows no errors.   Any help with this would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silumor

silumor

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

Have you tried running the Manufacture of the Hard Drive diagnostic software? I know you said you checked it but you didnt say how.

Edited by silumor, 19 May 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#3 RICKSTER40

RICKSTER40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:20 AM

I checked it with using the Windows 7 error checking tool and I also ran CHKDSK / R

#4 silumor

silumor

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

I would use the manufactures diagnostic tools they are better and more suited to their own drives.

#5 RICKSTER40

RICKSTER40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Ok I'll give that a whirl

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

Performance monitoring, WhatIsRunning monitoring, security programs, if several are assertively set, if several are set to auto-this, auto-that, auto-the-other, that all can impede operations and/or cause HD to constantly be in motion.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

My first thought after reading your initial post was "why did you need to reinstall the operating system"?  I'm pretty sure that silumor had the same question that I did... what's wrong with the hdd.

==========

Please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

==========

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  This will give us more information about the hdd, including the manufacturer.  Once I know who the manufacturer is I can provide you with a link to download their diagnostic tool.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users