Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible graphics card issue? BSOD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 budphotog

budphotog

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hi there,

I bought a used Dell Latitude E6520 a couple of months ago under rather dubious circumstances. When the guy I bought it from got it out from where it had been sitting, he tried to boot it, and it would almost immediately die in a BSOD. He thought it was a HDD issue, so I told him not to worry about it, as I was getting a 512GB SSD to put in it. After I got it home, I tried re-installing Windows 7 x64 on the original HDD, and it would work till Windows Update had installed all the newest updates. Then all of a sudden it would just die, and wouldn't re-boot. So, I just waited till I received my new SSD, then did a clean install, and voila, all my problems were gone! I didn't have any problems with BSOD, or slowness, or anything!

Until about a month ago...

All of a sudden, it has started acting up again. The first time, it just flashed a BSOD and re-started. No big deal. But the second time, when it tried to re-start, it showed an error: "No boot media found" That scared me! I realized that I hadn't made a backup for probably 2 months, and I was afraid it was all gone! But after letting it sit for a little while, I tried re-booting again, and thankfully, it worked! Needless to say, I immediately did a full backup of the SSD! After re-booting the second time the screen was all messed up, the resolution was set to 800x600, and when it finally booted, it "detected" the graphics card, and WU downloaded and installed the driver for it. After restarting, the screen was basically back to normal. However, ever since then, it has "acted up". Especially Firefox, when I switch to between tabs takes a while, and exhibits some artifacts for a few seconds.

Here's a link to my machine's specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OI8ls3RBGTkNjUoK1243Uye

I did a little research about BSODs, and I enabled the logging, kernel dumps, and what-not. Now just last night, I was just using my computer normally, (i.e. not doing anything resource intensive) but it was really heating up. It was almost too hot to touch. Then it completely froze up, the mouse wouldn't move, no response at all, then after a couple of minutes, it crashed to a BSOD. I got out my camera and took a picture of it just in case, and I'm glad I did, because there are no MiniDump logs that I can find.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know quite a bit about computers in general, but I'm no hand at decrypting BSOD errors.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Please post the information requested in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Once the attachments are posted someone will get back to you.

#3 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Looks like a motherboard failure.

The fact that both drives had the same problem suggests something is a common factor, unless you're really unlucky and got a faulty SSD as well.

We do need the dump files as requested by Grinler, however, the error code I am seeing says a lot (Beauty of Windows 7).

The 0x7A is a Kernel in page error, and the 2nd parameter is the error code, which is 0xC00000C0
STATUS_DEVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST. Essentially meaning the device (SDD) just disappeared, which is why it crashed.

Now, the SSD is either faulty, or the motherboard is. If it has warranty, RMA the part(s), if not we'll need the files to determine the exact cause.

#4 budphotog

budphotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the instructions, here's the data you requested!

@Jared44, thanks for your input! Interestingly, I think that's the first time I got this particular BSOD, it doesn't look the same as the previous ones that I've seen, but I can't be sure because they always disappeared after a few seconds. This one held on till I hit the power button, so I was able to get a picture of it. If like you said, the SSD "disappeared", then that would certainly explain why there aren't any minidumps. And it would also explain the "Missing Boot Media" error I got once when trying to restart.

Hopefully you guys can dig some useful info out of all this data! I'm going to run the HDD test, and see what I get... [Edit: What software am I supposed to use for an SSD? The link to SSDs on the page that @Grinler linked to seems to be a paid software of some sort.]

Unfortunately since the laptop was bought used, I'm sure there isn't any sort of warranty. The SSD was purchased from Amazon just a few months ago, so if it is bad, hopefully they'll replace it.

Attached Files

Edited by budphotog, 19 May 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#5 ring 0

ring 0

• 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

No dumps in your output, probably since the drive is the issue, it won't let the dump process complete gracefully.

Update the firmware on the SSD to the latest version if it's not already. That's always step one.

#6 budphotog

budphotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

No dumps in your output, probably since the drive is the issue, it won't let the dump process complete gracefully.

Update the firmware on the SSD to the latest version if it's not already. That's always step one.

Ok, I see there is a firmware upgrade available, but I don't have any faith that it will do any good. The computer had problems before I even installed the SSD. However, I will try it when I get a chance, it certainly can't hurt anything!

Are there any more suggestions? What could have caused the graphics glitch after re-booting?

#7 Jared44

Jared44

• 205 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

If it had problems prior to installing the SSD, then it is most likely the motherboard.

#8 budphotog

budphotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

Oh no... What would be the most likely problem with the motherboard? Corrosion, cracks, I mean, what would cause it to act up like that? Any ideas on how to "fix" the problem?

#9 Jared44

Jared44

• 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

You can't fix a motherboard issue, it needs replacing. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the harsh reality of a bad motherboard.

It can be caused by circuitry damage from wear and tear, with all the connections it's difficult to say.

#10 budphotog

budphotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

Well thanks for your diagnosis anyhow! :( So you think that's the most likely problem, and not something else that's more "fixable"? I really wish I had the dumps from the previous BSODs. They would probably have offered a little more insight into the issue.

I'm still not exactly sure how the HDD/SSD and graphics card issues are related. But then again, I guess the motherboard is responsible for "bringing it all together" and if it goes bad, then it could affect just about everything, couldn't it?

#11 Jared44

Jared44

• 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

Yep. If you multiple parts start going wrong, then you've got a lot of bad luck or your motherboard is dying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users