Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Server/Game Streamer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

I have 2 Desktop PC's in my house - one I use primarily for gaming, mixing, and audio production

The other I use as a media server - but I also use steam's in home streaming. This PC is in the living room so I use it more for the multiplayer controller based games where as the one upstairs is for my KB and Mouse FPS and other style games.

Some games, like pro-evo have some serious lag when streaming, but I don't think the network is to blame as the wireless connection is 450mbps and pretty much every other game works.

Now the media server is an ancient bit of kit, that works perfectly as a media server but I think might be the reason for the latency/video lag.

My Main PC is:

I don't feel the need to upgrade this as I can run everything in ultra high graphics without any issues still.. but feel free to suggest something

CPU: i7 4770
CASE: Carbide 400-r
MOBO: ASUS TUF Series SABERTOOTH Z87 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) ATX
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 Boost Edition 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
COOLER: Corsair H-55 Liquid Cooler
MEMORY: 16GB Ripjaws
STORAGE: 1 x 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1 x Velociraptor 300GB, 1 x 500GB Caviar Blue, 1 x 2tb Caviar Green, 1 x 1tv Caviar Green
POWER SUPPLY: OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO 700W SILENT S

My Media Server is and ancient work PC that was going to be thrown out and I put some HD's in - little sketchy on the full details:

CPU: 2 GHZ Pentium

CASE: Some stock case...
MOBO: Unsure
GPU: an 8 year old Nvidia 512mb card I threw in for good measure
COOLER: Stock
MEMORY: 2 GB DDR 2 RAM
STORAGE: 1 x 300 GB drive (not sure what it is of the top of my head) 1 x 3tb WD Red, 1 x 4tb WD Red
POWER SUPPLY: Stock - I think it was 250 Watt

I am looking for a cheapish option to upgrade this and was thinking

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor - £109.99  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM - £25.49   
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-Plus Micro ATX FM2+ -  £56.26    
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600  - £49.99 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX - £63.31

Plus the existing hard drives from above

And I hope that it will fit in the current case but yeah - I have built the kids a similar system to the above and the on board graphics play a lot of the games really well, negating the need for a GPU and meaning that I can install a few of the games I currently stream directly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

Or... buy a NAS system designed for 1080 on the fly transcoding and streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS214play/dp/B00FWUQNDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432052152&sr=8-1&keywords=ds214play

#3 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

I've considered NAS systems - They rarely seem to have enough Drive bays for future expansion - The one you posted is a 2 bay drive, and I already have 3 drives in my current media server and am thinking of expanding soon.

Would it work well for Steam In Home Stream Gaming?

I am tying to stick to around the £300 mark for now...

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

Well your right in that you can always build 'cheaper' pc that will be less expensive than a NAS type system because in a sense they are just small 'dumb' computers with an 'always on' RAID type JBOD or Redundant array.  I was just thinking 'ease of use' and 'all in one' they are not a bad setup if you are looking for simplicity.  In which case the system you suggested would probably work just fine. :thumbup2:

#5 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

Fair. Perhaps the system I suggested is good for an interim jobby... I can look at a decent NAS set up next bonus payment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users