Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question- home networks, help! URGENT!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mysteryman25

mysteryman25

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hey guys,

I had a quick question about a network at home.

My house is 15m tall and 9m wide, I want to network 3 computers (mine, wife, son).

Should I wire the house with Ethernet cat 5e cable and put a 100 base T switch?
Or
Just put a Wi-Fi access point and Wi Fi cards for the 3 computers.

I prefer wireless, but I’ve heard Ethernet would have slightly faster speeds due to less aerial interference.

Suggestions? Solutions? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

With wireless you always have the possibilities of interference and strange connection speeds not to mention a security risk.  I prefer wired.  Computers of today are capable of gigabit network speeds so I would get a gigabit router to 'network' your pc's. And I would use CAT6 instead of CAT5.  Setup the router in a median location ' mid level closet or somewhere near the 'cablemodem'.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

Most wireless routers will have inbuilt 4 port Ethernet too. Such routers will give you option of security, speed and reliability(wired) or mobility (wireless)
Also using wireless capable router will be an advantage if you will use phones and tablets in future .

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 20 May 2015 - 12:18 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 mysteryman25

mysteryman25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users