Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Backbone networks, Please help! Urgent!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mysteryman25

mysteryman25

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hey guys,

I have question about backbone networks. Need Help!

If an organisation has 3 departments.

Key servers are in different departments – so a user from 1 department X reads and writes to file servers in another department Y. And both users access mail from a server in department Z.

The traffic and broadcast storms originating in one department is causing bandwidth saturation in other departments.

The core of the network is slow and is unable to meet the response time requirements of various critical business applications.

What is the solution based on core technology design, LAN technologies and design solutions to address inter-departmental traffic issues?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

We would need to know the current setup in order to help with how to resolve it.  Most likely if your having bandiwidth problems your using old equipment like a network hub.  Hub's broadcast all traffic recieved to all computers directly connected to the hub.  So a solution would be to use newer equipment like a router or switch.  A switch was mainly used to interconnect computers that were capable of different connection speeds.  A router will send traffic to the destination computer instead of all computers connected to it like a hub does.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

I won't answer what is obviously a home work question but YeahBleeping is on the right track. Think about the equipment that you would use and what functions each uses when it comes to network traffic or how each handles traffic. And I think you'll figure it out.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 mysteryman25

mysteryman25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users