Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam Alert : A Leading Anti-Malware Security Giant Malwarebytes Tricks You

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Crispinfergus

Crispinfergus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

A review and preview: Malwarebytes, certainly a rip-off!!

“Crushes Malware. Restores Confidence.”

Maybe the team of Malwarebytes was not very sure afore they could fine-tune the above punch line on their site, instead if you opt for culling Malwarebytes the below will explicate your situation quite well that will let you regret forever.

“Crushes Confidence, Restores MALWARE.”

Such an awful brand image to engender when promotions campaigns and big promises are made to collect a bunch of target audience and just crack that immense sale!

I've only been bitten by one piece of malware recently. It was those fake antivirus things that were sent to me from a friend's infected machine. It instantly infected when it hit my inbox. The very next thing I could look for was to surf on net to get some recommendations that would help me to choose the right Anti-malware kit, to my surprise Malwarebytes is such a fake company that has actually filled in fake reviews and great comments for publicity, well I did land up in that trap. Checking out the flashy and so fresh reviews I did get my hands on Malwarebytes, the product was totally and utterly ineffective against the infection.

Not really writing this to pan the product, but just to describe my experience with it, and but know from other people's experience that Antiviruses or malware can't always detect and eliminate most of the spyware and adware that's out there. The Malwarebytes Pro loaded up fine, and I updated without a delay then ran a complete scan on my system. To my surprise, nothing was found, but I still intended to keep it on board as another tool to fight infection. The problem I had; was I immediately found my computer was running real slow. Consider either you are online or just moving across folders your system just won't work!!It was a real frustration while I tried adjusting and playing with many of the settings in Malwarebytes, but failed to make any difference & couldn't get it to improve performance at all. Finally, I just shut Malwarebytes down completely and made sure it did not start/run upon computer "start-up" and concluded to uninstall it from my system.

Not only did it fail to protect me from the initial infection, it was blissfully unaware of the infection. It never came close to detecting it. It is by far the worst anti-malware tool you could encounter especially while when you are in deep bleep! It claims to be very light weight, well yes it is light weight because it doesn't hold anything useful neither would it scan a single malicious detection.

I kept on trying to find a customer care to reach their team but further realized that they don't offer any contact number, all you could is buy their product going against the reviews and most of them posted by their self and then when you can't call them drop a line on their forum or email them which they would never even look at! So their sale is done now how does it matter to them to serve their customers.

Not to be very surprise the Malwarebytes team also sets up multiple accounts to review their self with 5-star rating how could you ever ignore their forum with appreciations to the height of falseness.

I concluded one of the biggest drawbacks from Malwarebytes is the lack of technical support and how unprofessional could it get when you would encounter that the source code or signature is corrupted, and all you have to do is install a new version. How pathetic it is that in the name of consumer support, all I get is never-ending lies, abusive emails, and false claims that my computer optimization utility RegCure Pro is "MALWARE". This certainly seems like a SCAM!!!

All I can say that Malwarebytes is a wolf in the sheep's clothes, and it's open up to the crowd to make a wise choice in not choosing this unauthentic & unprofessional company with their 'malware' package!

Well just not me but many have the same concern to be worried about below are just few links!!

http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/no-support-from-malwarebytes-20150121585085.html
http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/malwarebytes-slander-insults-harassment-and-lies-20141121560566.html
http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/poor-comunication-20141118559455.html
http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/premium-product-didn-t-work-no-reply-from-customer-support-20141106554816.html
http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/malwarebytes-product-failing-and-no-support-20141101553094.html
http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/no-phone-number-to-talk-to-an-american-english-speaking-person-20141028551535.html

Edited by computerxpds, 20 May 2015 - 06:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

Sorry to hear about you back experience with Malwarebytes. No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

As for their Tech Support, myself and many others feel much differently. Some of the employees involved with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them.

"I used to volunteer for years on malware removal forums where I helped people to clean up malware, teach people how to prevent malware and made some of my own small removal tools to deal with malware. This was (and still is) my passion. Malwarebytes was built out of people from the same community, who share the same passion. A great product can only exist if there are passionate people behind it, and I wanted to become a part of this."

Mieke, Director of Research, Europe

Malwarebytes Management Team

How pathetic it is that in the name of consumer support, all I get is never-ending lies, abusive emails, and false claims that my computer optimization utility RegCure Pro is "MALWARE". This certainly seems like a SCAM!!!

RegCure Pro is an optimization suite by Paretologic that purports to improve speed, performance, make repairs and fix registry errors. The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

The very next thing I could look for was to surf on net to get some recommendations that would help me to choose the right Anti-malware kit, to my surprise Malwarebytes is such a fake company that has actually filled in fake reviews and great comments for publicity, well I did land up in that trap.

Can you prove that these reviews and comments are fake and were done by Malwarebytes themself?

Checking out the flashy and so fresh reviews I did get my hands on Malwarebytes, the product was totally and utterly ineffective against the infection.

Where did you see that Malwarebytes could remove the infection? I would like a link to the website/webpage where you saw that and the name of the fake Antivirus you were infected with.

Not only did it fail to protect me from the initial infection, it was blissfully unaware of the infection. It never came close to detecting it.

Once again, I would like to see the website/webpage where you saw that Malwarebytes would get rid of that exact infection and if it's from an official Malwarebytes source or simply a "review" website.

Not to be very surprise the Malwarebytes team also sets up multiple accounts to review their self with 5-star rating how could you ever ignore their forum with appreciations to the height of falseness.

Once again, any proofs of that claim?

I concluded one of the biggest drawbacks from Malwarebytes is the lack of technical support and how unprofessional could it get when you would encounter that the source code or signature is corrupted, and all you have to do is install a new version.

There's a section on Malwarebytes Forums dedicated to False Positive. If a file on your system is falsely detected by Malwarebytes, simply report it in that section and they'll adjust it in the next database, which is really, really fast in my experience. You don't have to uninstall or reinstall Malwarebytes in order to update the definition database. If you do, it's because there's an issue with your system and not the product itself.

How pathetic it is that in the name of consumer support, all I get is never-ending lies, abusive emails, and false claims that my computer optimization utility RegCure Pro is "MALWARE". This certainly seems like a SCAM!!!

RegCure Pro IS a PUP.

warning.gifRegistry Cleaners Warning!
I see that you have a Registry Cleaner program installed. These programs are known to be harmful to the system and should not be used for any reason there is. It's a known fact that using Registry Cleaners can easily break a Windows installation, to the point where a complete reinstallation might be needed. Here's a few myths about using these programs, and why they are just plainly false.
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will improve a system's performance" - False. The Windows Registry is a big database which contains information on everything present on the system, from the boot settings to how your programs looks when you open them. There's so many entries in it that cleaning even thousands of them isn't enough to boost a system performance. Also, there's no studies, tests, benchmarks, etc. which shows that using Registry Cleaners actually improve a system speed;
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will fix all your errors" - False. Using a Registry Cleaner won't fix any problems at all. In fact, it have more chances to create them if anything. There's no program that can fix every problems in a simple click, and there probably never will. If you have an error, it's better to troubleshoot that error in particuliar by finding what's causing it and fixing it than using a software that might give you more errors;
  • "If you don't use a Registry Cleaner, you'll leave a door open for malware" - False. It is rare that malware will actually hijack orpheans keys and keypairs in the Registry to create persistence or install themself. They'll usually create their own keys/keypairs since they have been instructed (coded) to do so, and the creator cannot expect every system he'll infect to have leftover keys. Also, pretty much only Reg Loading Points in the Registry would be of any interest for a malware to hijack, and these are usually occupied already, or quickly deleted when empty;
  • Registry Cleaners aren't Registry Defraggers - These are two different kind of software who have two distinct function each.
  • On a last note, there's a lot of Registry Cleaners out here that won't create a back-up of your Registry before applying the changes they make. Which means that if you use them and clean entries that prevents Windows to reboot after, locking you out of your computer, you won't be able to restore a precedent Registry back-up via the Recovery PE. This means that if you can't fix the boot issue after that, you'll most likely be forced to reinstall Windows;
Registry Cleaners were used back in the days by developers who were using a OLE-schema for their applications. They used these to clean the Registry after uninstalling their programs, just in case there was traces of it left behind that could affect a reinstallation. These were back in the Windows 95 and Windows 98 days and this practice isn't in effect anymore. Therefore, there's no reason for you to use such programs and quite a few to avoid them instead.

Here's more articles on Registry Cleaners that are worth a read if you want to learn more about them and why you shouldn't use them.Also, you know that Malwarebytes Forums have multiple sections where you can provide undetected malware sample, so the Malwarebytes Team will analyze them and add the detection to their database.

In conclusion, you make a lot of accusations but fail to provide any proofs. If you do, maybe your "review" will seem a bit more realistic. But for now, if you can't prove any of what you just said (and if you can't answer my questions), your review isn't worth a lot to me. You want to "expose" a fact? Provide proofs. Simple as that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

Not only did it fail to protect me from the initial infection, it was blissfully unaware of the infection. It never came close to detecting it. It is by far the worst anti-malware tool you could encounter especially while when you are in deep bleep! It claims to be very light weight, well yes it is light weight because it doesn't hold anything useful neither would it scan a single malicious detection.

This is supposed to be a " review" ???????

You very clearly state that you had an infected machine and you downloaded and installed Malwarebytes AFTER the event. 

Next you complain that Malwarebytes failed to protect you from the infection ...........

How the heck do you expect a product to do anything for your system before you install it ?

The support they give is always good, perhaps the problem lies in front of the keyboard/

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

RegCure Pro IS a PUP.

I already provided a warning about using RegCure Pro and Registry Cleaners...that is what that topic link was created for. There is no need to essentially repeat the same kind of information.

It's a report from someone who had a bad experience with Malwarebytes and their support. As such, the OP has shared links to reports by others who had bad experiences.

These are all opinions. Other members can reply with their opinions and the Malwarebytes Team is free to reply and address anything which has been said.

#6 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

RegCure Pro IS a PUP.

I already provided a warning about using RegCure Pro and Registry Cleaners...that is what that topic link was created for. There is no need to essentially repeat the same kind of information.

It's a report from someone who had a bad experience with Malwarebytes and their support. As such, the OP has shared links to reports by others who had bad experiences.

These are all opinions. Other members can reply with their opinions and the Malwarebytes Team is free to reply and address anything which has been said.

With respect, what you have is someone blaming a product for not protecting their system................  that product was installed AFTER the infection took place and the infection was missed by the resident antivirus program , assuming there was in fact one in place.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

What I said is that the OP is entitled to express his opinion about what he experienced....that does not mean I support what was said.

#8 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Contrary to the opinion of the thread starter, when I recently had a problem with malware, and contacted Malwarebytes Customer Services people, I found their response prompt and helpful.

Edited by PhotoAce, 19 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

Malwarebytes Forums are known to be an excellent place of support for any questions you might have, or for malware removal. As someone who lurks the forum quite a bit, the response time is quite fast and if you need to be oriented toward a particuliar section, there's always someone that will politely orient you and give you all the information you need.

Malwarebytes deserves a 10/10 when it comes to support, in my opinion.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

On the "Pissedconsumer" site there is another complaint about Malwarebytes, on behalf of RegCurePro.

http://malwarebytes.pissedconsumer.com/malwarebytes-slander-insults-harassment-and-lies-20141121560566.html

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

There are about 20 "Reviews" (complaints) from unsatisfied customers at that site...a miniscule fraction of all Malwarebyte users. Any time such complaints are written, we are only presented with one side of the story.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Also, for all these people who blames Malwarebytes and praise RegCure Pro out there, it would be nice to obtain both sides of the history wouldn't it? (Malwarebytes VS RegCure Pro).

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/regcure.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/paretologic.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc

Also, these are also "reviews" about the program. They do not count as fact, but if you want to go "review against review", it would be nice to have the ones of both sides.

Edited by Aura., 19 May 2015 - 04:07 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Malwarebytes vs RegCure Pro...there is no comparison.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

I know, yet some people think there is one. I don't even know where they get that from, but if it's from online websites/webpages, then they were terribly misinformed, even lied to.

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Of course they get it from the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users