Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI GT80: 256 GB SSD or 512 GB SSD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Force

Omega Force

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hello.

I'm going to buy a MSI GT80, but I don't know if I should go for one with a storage of 256 GB SSD or one with a storage of 512 GB SSD?

The only thing I believe I'm certain of is that 128 GB SSD is too small.

I’m not going to play any video games on this computer.

But I’m going to play chess and backgammon on it, and use powerful chess and backgammon softwares.

I'll also use interactive development environments such as MatLab and SharpDevelop.

On this computer I’m going to watch a lot of Youtube videos, as well as some series and movies.

And on Firefox I’m a massive tabs user: I always have a few hundred tabs open at the same time. So the laptop better be able to handle all of these tabs without making Firefox lag and crash too often.

So which storage do you think I should get: the 256 GB SSD or the 512 GB SSD?

And will the 512 GB SSD make my computer faster than the 256 GB SSD?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

On my home computer I have a 256 GB SSD.  I DO run a few games which take up quite a bit of space.  If you do not plan to use the SSD as a storage drive than 256 should be fine for normal users that DO NOT play a lot of downloaded games.  Of course the 512 GB drive will give you more room to grow.  But in my case when I run out I will simply get a storage drive that is not an SSD and move my game files over to that drive.  The problem with STEAM games is that files are still written to the OS drive that take up quite a bit of space.  A 512 GB drive (depending on the read/write speed) will be just the same as a 256 GB drive you will not 'see' any difference.  256 GB SSD's are at least affordable in my opinion where as 512 ones are just a bit too pricey in my opinion.

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

512Gb SSD's are generally faster than their smaller counterparts, especially for sequential read/write operations.  However in day to day use, it's not likley to make your system that much faster. 

Just going from a HDD to SSD will see a major boost in OS and program load times due to the near instant seak times when loading small files associated with applications.  Games, movies, youtube etc, it really doesn't make much of any difference.

I don't think speed will be a major consideration in what size to buy, but may help to future proof the laptop if you eventually need more capacity than that.

#4 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

And your "powerful" chess program is only CPU intensive, not drive intensive.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

512Gb SSD's are generally faster than their smaller counterparts, especially for sequential read/write operations.  However in day to day use, it's not likley to make your system that much faster. 

Just going from a HDD to SSD will see a major boost in OS and program load times due to the near instant seak times when loading small files associated with applications.  Games, movies, youtube etc, it really doesn't make much of any difference.

I don't think speed will be a major consideration in what size to buy, but may help to future proof the laptop if you eventually need more capacity than that.

Actually according to SAMSUNG their EVO drives are exactly the same regardless of 500 or 250 GB SSD  both 550/520 GB/s Read / Write .

I think if your comparing different manufacture's you will most definitely see a difference in read/write performance.

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

It really comes down to the number of NAND flash chips and the controller.  Larger SSDs typically have more NANDs so it's essentially like having a RAID 0 wth more drives in it.  Those numbers you see on Newegg are just pulled from the overall description of the EVO line.  Actual tests show otherwise as this chart makes abundantly clear: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/195536-samsung-850-evo-ssd-high-performance-durable-3d-nand-hits-the-mainstream

Edited by DataMedic, 19 May 2015 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users