Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 620 USB glitch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bewildered Bob

Bewildered Bob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

It took a l-o-n-g time to learn that more than 2 USB devices attached during boot-up would prevent power-on from completing normally. But now the keyboard & mouse occupy those 2 slots (in rear) which means that adding a flash drive will probably cause the power on to fail again. Hopefully Dell has finally fixed the bug with a BIOS update.

(1) is it recommended to update current BIOS with a newer one ?

(2) if so, how can it be done to minimize possibility of new bugs ?

Bob

ps: the boot order in BIOS was recently changed to read USB "floppy" drive (i assume this means flash drive) first to allow loading of Windows Defender Offline (WDO) but the flash drive was ignored during boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

(1) is it recommended to update current BIOS with a newer one ?

I only recommend a bios update if you require something in the update that the update is supposed to resolve.that without it makes you unable to properly 'do' something your trying to do.  Usually reading the bios update notes extend clues as to what the update 'fixes'

(2) if so, how can it be done to minimize possibility of new bugs ?

I am not sure how to answer this question.  Can updating the bios cause new issues?  Certainly which is why the answer to question one is only update if you need to .. TO fix something that is not working properly without said update.

#3 Bewildered Bob

Bewildered Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hi "YeahBleeping": Thanx for the quick reply.

(1) how do i determine which BIOS lvl is currently installed ?

(2) where are BIOS "fixes" shown so i can decide whether or not to replace existing ?

Bewildered Bob

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Please do not think I am talking down to you I am only pointing this out to save you headache.  But if your asking the above questions than maybe flashing the bios is better left to a computer technician that can help you.

1.  When your computer POSTS it usually flashes the bios version/revision on the bottom of the screen.  Also if you go into the bios somewhere on the screen it should say something like: AMI BIOS version xxx.xxxx or similar.

2.  Bios updates are found on the motherboard manufacture's website.  You can use a program like speccy to determine what motherboard you have in your system.  Or if it is like a DELL or HP from their site.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 19 May 2015 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users