Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anyone know what disquscdn.com is?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 puravida999

puravida999

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

I was checking disqus comments and I noticed that some images were hosted there, when trying to access that site is not loading, any explanation?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:55 PM

It's the CloudFlare content delivery network used to host the content.   It is not a "site" that you could visit.

#3 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

It's the CloudFlare content delivery network used to host the content.   It is not a "site" that you could visit.

is safe?

#4 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

is safe?

Yes it is safe, content delivery networks are used by 1000's of large sites and social media systems.  It is groups of servers used to spread the content for faster delivery , protection from DDOS attacks and server failure. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

Cloud Fare is one of many CDN's  https://www.cloudflare.com/features-cdn

Amazon is another example  http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

disquscdn is safe, you probably run noscript (like I do) so have seen it listed a source of content on some pages you visit. You will need to allow disquscdn if you want to post a comment using disqus on whatever page you are visiting, otherwise you needn't allow it. On some sites you might have to allow it to read the comments left by others, on other sites it ony needs to be allowed if you want to post a comment of your own.

I know what you mean about sites you "can't visit" a lot of domains which act as the source for scripts and content on pages do not have a main page on the domain which you can go to.

Edited by rp88, 19 May 2015 - 10:51 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 puravida999

puravida999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

disquscdn is safe, you probably run noscript (like I do) so have seen it listed a source of content on some pages you visit. You will need to allow disquscdn if you want to post a comment using disqus on whatever page you are visiting, otherwise you needn't allow it. On some sites you might have to allow it to read the comments left by others, on other sites it ony needs to be allowed if you want to post a comment of your own.

I know what you mean about sites you "can't visit" a lot of domains which act as the source for scripts and content on pages do not have a main page on the domain which you can go to.

Thanks both for explaining, really helpful. 

Off-topic

I've seen sometimes that users (not only in disqus but in other websites) post images, those images are clickable, are these server hosting those images safe?

Could one of those images content a link to a malicious site pretending to be a image hosting but showing the actual image?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users