Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to get wi-fi in my outbuilding?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orgeston

Orgeston

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

I have an outbuilding I would like to use my laptop in, but my wi-fi does not reach it and I'd rather not get another modem or run an Ethernet cable over there. Both my house and my outbuilding have metal roofs and siding, and they are 200 ft away from each other. What's the best way to get internet in the other building?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

My router has settings for which I can change the power of the antenna.  Does yours?  I have mine set to low since I only use wifi in my small apartment.  You possibly have a few options check here. I am guessing a wireless repeater may be an option if you have someplace you can power it and keep it safe from the elements at the midpoint of your property.  Or it even may work at the second building.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

I have a couple of old USB wifi dongles, and have found that even they are far better at receiving wifi signals than the internal wifi cards in either of my computers. There are plenty of newer, much better USB wifi dongles to choose from for less than US$10.

To further improve the chances of establishing a wifi connection, you could position a wifi dongle near a window, for example, if your outbuilding has a window that faces your house, and connect it to your laptop with a USB cable.

#4 Orgeston

Orgeston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:21 AM

Alright, thank you very much for the link and the info. I'll definitely look into the repeater and the dongle.

#5 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

Personally, I would ditch the wifi idea and get Powerline Adapters: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/network-wifi/3491484/what-is-powerline/ :)

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users