Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 9 has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

I have a Dell 530 Inspiron running Windows Vista.  My Internet Explorer 9 has stopped running.  When I try to start it it gives me the message that IE has stopped working and Windows is searching for a solution, Windows is closing the program and will notify me if a solution is available.    

I tried right clicking Computer, click Properties, Advanced System Settings, Performance Settings, Data Execution Performance tab, in the box under "Turned on DEP for all programs and services.." I added Internet Explorer.  This did not fix it.

I am able to start IE in Safe Mode.  While in there I went to Internet Options, Advanced Options tab and unchecked "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".  I rebooted in regular mode.  Tried it again but it did not help.  I got the same message.

I tried to uninstall IE 9 but got a message "An error has occured.  Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled".  I rebooted in safe mode.  Started IE it was still running IE9.  While in Safe Mode I tried uninstalling IE but got the same message "Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled".

When I look in Control Panel, Problem Reports and Solutions, View Problem History I see the error message that is being produced whenever I start IE.   It is pasted below.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 9.0.8112.16644
Application Timestamp: 5527ea05
Fault Module Name: GoogleDesktopIE.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4beaf2c2
Exception Offset: 63292054
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d686
Additional Information 2: c175aa176f1bfef5dc5cbbff3d9a7633
Additional Information 3: d5d4
Additional Information 4: e5a2fdfa64fa235b34a7e17f479f186a

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 50

I looked for any information on GoogleDesktopIE.dll_unloaded but couldn't find any.  I do have Google Desktop running on my desktop.  I took it out of my startup and tried IE but that did not fix it.

I looked for a way to start IE without add-ons.  I could not find an entry in All Programs.  I tried typing iexplore.exe

extoff in Start Search but it gave me the same message - Windows is looking for a solution.  

I primarily use Chrome - I only occasionally use IE, so I am not sure what I may have changed on the system to cause this.  I would like to get it fixed so I can have a second browser that I am familiar with.  

Any ideas on what I can try to fix this?  

Thanks

Don 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

One quick thing you could try, open control panel and go to internet options.  Click advanced advanced tab, then click "Restore advanced settings" and click the "Reset" button.  The Reset will disable all addons, usually what I've found to cause IE to crash out of the blue.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

To start IE without any add-ons, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools. The icon for IE without add-ons should be there.

You may want to uninstall and reinstall Google desktop. When dll files fail to unload properly, you can try fixing it by turning on Data Execution Prevention -- which you've already tried.

Part of the problem is likely the fact the IE 9 is no longer supported, which means no more updates, patches or fixes. You might want to just stick to Chrome.

To uninstall IE 9 from the command line, you can try opening a command prompt (make sure you are running it as the administrator), and enter this:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

I have uninstalled Google Desktop and that allowed IE to start without an error.  When I reinstalled it, the error came back.  So for now I have uninstalled it and decided to live without it.  

I came across this link - not only is IE9 no longer supported but Google Desktop is not being supported either.  

http://googledesktop.blogspot.com/

I did see resetting IE settings as an approach to fixing this.  I did not want to do a blanket reset on the settings in IE because I was not sure what I may have changed.  (I guess I could have copied them down.)  I did open IE in safe mode and disabled the add-ons but that did not have an affect on its usage in regular mode.  It still gave me the error.  

So thanks for you help.  I'll just have to live without Google Desktop.  I need to start thinking about upgrading.  

Don

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

At this point, there's probably no avoiding it. Between IE 9 and Vista, everything will be out of support soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users