Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Win2k And Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PAWilson65

PAWilson65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

I have a Dell GX150 desktop running Win2000 SP4 and a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running XP home edition SP2 and would like to create a network at home. They are connected via a wireless router; laptop is wireless and desktop is wired. How do I set up the network for complete file sharing (C$) and printer sharing.
I have already created the workgroup but can only see the printer on the desktop from the laptop. Nothing else. :thumbsup:
P.A.Wilson
onwards>>upwards^^ forever learning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:03 AM

Have you designated which folders should be shared?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

Run the networking wizard on the computer with Windows XP and then use your Windows XP CD in your desktop running Win 2K.

To configure other computers on your network using the CD
If you are running the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP, you must be logged on as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer that you want to connect to your home or small office network.
Click Perform additional tasks.
Click Set up a home or small office network.
Notes

The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers running Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

#4 Windows Hater

Windows Hater

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

Hi. I have a similar problem as PAWilson. I am trying to create file and printsharing with two machines networked with a linksys router (WRT54G version 3.1). One laptop, an Ibm thinkpad, runs Windows 2000 Pro and is hardwired. The other machine, a gateway laptop running XP, is wirelessly connected.

I followed Enthusiast's advice but ran into a snag because Win2K Pro is not compatible with the Network setup program (Netsetup.exe) from XP as Enthusiast notes at the bottom of his post.

Any ideas on how to run a EZ network setup wizard of some kind on Win2k Pro?

Any advice at all for a mac user frustrated with windows!?

P.S. Forgive my snarky name. I selected it in a moment of windows inspired rage :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:30 AM

The information on the following site will help you set up a network with computers running XP and Win2K:

Configuring Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-Win2kXP.asp

This document provides an overview of options for connecting a Macintosh to a PC or other computer on the same network. In this article a "PC" is a computer using Microsoft Windows with an AMD or Intel microprocessor.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/framed.h...ml?artnum=19652

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 05:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users